HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
RedAllison

Default Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

I FINALLY HAVE IT!!! One of my customers has been promising me that he would bring me his 50BMG (State Arms single shot bolt) just to carry out for fartsNgiggles. I got a call from work this morning that it was waiting on me. I hightailed it up there and WOW this mother is BAAAAAD! It has a 8x32x56 Nightforce on it and since I am taking it out this weekend I don't have time toship some ammo into the shopfor it so I ran down to another gunshop and picked up two boxes of 600someodd grain ball ammo and am ready to LIGHT THIS MOTHER UP!!!

I honestly don't think people believe me (lol except those that really know me ) when I say I am going to shoot a doe with it "just because". The fellow who I bought the ammo from shoots 50s quite a bit and I was surprised when he told me they have the ballistics (too 1k yds) that basically mirror that of a 300WinMag. I was surprised, I know it REALLY retains velocity well (about 2700fps at muzzle and a hair over 2k at 1k yds) and with such heavy bullets it bucks the wind like no other, but I honestly didn't think it would shoot that relatively flat. I haven't quite figured out how in the world I am gonna get this 30-40# behemoth up into a 2man ladderstand yet, but once up there I have padded shooting rails and over 600yds in either direction from which to "lay em low". Our second rifle season opens Saturday and at 3 does per day, I have my work cutout for me.

I've seen vids and read/heard all the stories of using the mighty one on big game, but has anyone in here actually done it?

BOY this is gonna be fun
RA