Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Rifles again >

Savage Rifles again

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Rifles again

Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Savage Rifles again

I have been looking at the Savage rifle for the last couple days. I can't believe how many different models and options they have these days. I sort of have it narrowed down to the either the Police Model, 26 inch barrel Synthetic stock in 308, Or the Varmit model, Stainless 26 inch barrel, Synthetic stock in 270 WSM. I mainly wanted to try the Accu-Trigger. I kinda wanted a 7MM-08 but nothing in that caliber has the longer barrel that I want. I like the long Heavy barrel because this will be a Ground Blind type rifle and not a walk around rifle. The Police model here goes for 529.00 and the Varmit for 575.00 so there is not a big price difference. I could get a little better buy at Sportsmans Warehouse but they don't do trades. They had one of the Stainless Varmit models in 300 WSM for 530.00. That was a sweet gun but I didn't really want the 300 WSM. However the more I look, the more confused I get. Mule deer will be the main game hunted so the 270 WSM or 308 would both be good calibers. The 300 WSM in that heavy barreled Varmit model may not have to much recoil. I think it weighed nearly 10 lbs without a scope. NO it says 8.75 lbs for the short action. With the 3.8X12 Aetec, that would be a heavy weight for sure as the lighted Recticle Aetec is a load on its own.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Savage Rifles again

James we had a SS laminated, heavy barrel, heavy stock 300WSM Savage in the shop a couple of months ago. I promise you that you can't tell the difference between the report or recoil of that gun regardless of which WSM caliber it is. They are heavy rifles and yes you will LOVE the AccuTrigger. The customer who bought the gun from us LOVES IT and says it is amazingly accurate and uses it fora long range treestand rifle. I definetly wouldn't want to carry it around, but for stand/blind hunting it would be "da cats pjs". Course what do I know, lol I am taking a 40# 50cal into the stand with me this weekend!!!

Whack emwhere they stand I say!
RA
Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Savage Rifles again

That stainless 300 WSM felt very good to me. Had it been the 270 WSM that I have been trying to talk myself into, It would ave came home with me. Like I said, it won't be a carry rifle. I own some land in my hunting unit where I can oversee an area about 400 yards wide and 550-600 yards long. There are several good points where a guy can watch for the deer to come up on the winter wheat in the evening. I even saw an elk there a few weeks ago. They are rare in that unit though its the first one I have seen in several years. They are common about 75 miles or so west of my land. I tend to agree about the recoil. I think any of the WSM's would be pretty mild in a rifle that Heavy. I do have a bad, bad shoulder but I am due to get a new joint in it this winter. Maybe they have a Kevlar joint.