Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SAVAGE RIFLES >

SAVAGE RIFLES

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAVAGE RIFLES

Old 01-02-2005, 06:05 PM

Default SAVAGE RIFLES

I'M LOOKING FOR BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON SAVAGE HUNTING RIFLES(7MM, .300, ETC...). I'M CONSIDERING BUYING ONE BUT DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THEM. THE PRICES ARE LOWER; BUT, DOES THAT MEAN THE QUALITY SUFFERS? LOOKIN' FOR ADVICE.. THANKS...
Old 01-02-2005, 06:12 PM
CJW

Default RE: SAVAGE RIFLES

Do a search!!!

CJW
Old 01-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3
Where they save the $ is
1 the way they put a barrel ( with a barrel nut) on is less expensive and looks different but it works great and if you want to replace the barrel you can do it at home .
2 they don't have great looking wood for the stocks just plain birck except for the top of the line or you can have a syn .stock or laminated
3 they use for most rifles just 1 length action and block the magazine to the right length
ONE BIG plus is the Acu-trigger ,it is the best factory trigger IMO by far
Their varmit rifles are amoung the most accurate out of the box rifles out there
IMO the plain look is why so many look down on them
Old 01-02-2005, 06:47 PM

AZ, here's my take on Savage bolt-action rifles. They will not win many awards based on the way they look. If you want a bolt-action that is pretty to look at, buy a Winchester Model 70 or a Sako, or if you have $$$$, buy a Kimber, Dakota or one of several other semi-custom guns.

But, if you consider functionability and reliability as things of beauty (as I do), take a good look at Savage's bolt-actions. To some, they are horrible to look at. The barrel nut that mates the barrel to the action is in a class by itself-no other manufacturer uses such a device to attach barrels to receivers. However, Savage can cut chambers precisely and measure headspace exactly, then set it perfectly by tightening that barrel nut, versus threading the barrel into the receiver and then trying to cut the chamber to the correct headspace. Looks funny-works great.

The bolt looks weird, too. It looks like it has two sets of twin locking lugs. Only the forward set are true lugs; the rear set work as guides for smooth bolt operation and, as a additional benefit, work to block gasses from blowing back into the action due to ruptured primers or cases. Looks funny-works great.

Button-rifled barrels, three-position safeties (on the tang, no less, where all rifle safeties should be, IMHO), now the Accu-Trigger, and all at prices less than most other rifles....what's NOT to like?

Brian
Old 01-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a Savage model 16 in 270 wsm. The rifle will not win any beauty contests but for what I want it is perfect. I have only shot it one time, off my back deck, and all I can say is the accu trigger is great. I think you will be pleased with the Savage, especially if you're lookin for a good, accurate hunting rifle.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:20 PM

I've never read one really negative comment by a Savage owner about how they shoot.

Some aren't really happy with the looks of a Savage, and some others have been less than thrilled with the synthetic stocks, but in terms of accuracy and reliability, they've got a reputation that Remington and Winchester would envy.

In fact, right now I'd love to find a left-handed Savage in .243.

Check out www.savageshooters.com for more opinions.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My next gun will be a Savage 12 Varmint. Only thing I havent decided is whether to get a 223 or 243. Those triggers made the sale for me. They are nothing fancy but they just plain get it done.

Always got cold beer!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

I have 3
Where they save the $ is
1 the way they put a barrel ( with a barrel nut) on is less expensive and looks different but it works great and if you want to replace the barrel you can do it at home .
2 they don't have great looking wood for the stocks just plain birck except for the top of the line or you can have a syn .stock or laminated
3 they use for most rifles just 1 length action and block the magazine to the right lengthONE BIG plus is the Acu-trigger ,it is the best factory trigger IMO by far
Their varmit rifles are amoung the most accurate out of the box rifles out there
IMO the plain look is why so many look down on them
Tikka does the same. There are Savage models that have true short actions like the 16FSS and true long actions like the 116FSS.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 PM

they are good gun build better than some
Old 01-04-2005, 08:41 AM

This year I brought a 110 in a 30-06 and I love mine. It shoots great and while it won't win any beauty awards, when it comes to making an impression on a deer, that doesn't matter anyway. Great gun!

Quick Reply: SAVAGE RIFLES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.