Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage rifles again >

Savage rifles again

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifles again

Old 06-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Savage rifles again

With the current debate over the Savage rifles going on, I need to add a positive word for Savage. My Model 12 Varmit rifle in 270 WSM had an extractor problem. It would not hold on to the shell when the bolt was pulled back. I called Savage six days ago and told them about the problem. Today the new extractor was in my mail box. No charge. It took less than five minutes to install the new extractor and now it throws them clear across my reloading room. I laid the two extractors side by side and I could see the problem right away. The little notch for the cartridge rim was not cleanly cut into the first extractor. The new one is perfect.

Now I could say that this was their screwup and they should have made it right. They did and they did it quickly. Also in their defence, I have never seen one that would not feed very well if the front of the spring under the top of the magazine box was bent to put sufficient pressure to the front of the top plate. Any that have ever fed less than perfect was always cured by this simple step. Should this be done right at the plant? Yes but a few minor adjustments has always brought them around for me and the price and accuracy has always more than made up for the few little quirks for me.

Accuracy is important to me and a first shot that counts will eliminate the need for fast follow up shots and such. However I have taken a hugh number of big game animals with Savage rifles. Never a hick-up of any kind. I think I have had every model of Savage made in the last 100 years, thats the pumps, bolts, levers and single shots. I would use a Savage that has proven reliable in a heartbeat for any big game hunting. The same standard would apply to any make or model of rifle that I chose to use. I have had about the same little hangups or slightly different ones with every make of gun that I have ever tried, inclkuding custom made rifles. If its MECHANICAL, its a matter of when it will malfunction, not if it will.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

Default RE: Savage rifles again

Great input James. There are mechanical failures in everything and anything that man does. All of my Savages perform flawlessly not to say that I might have an issue like you did with yours someday. Great to hear that there was great service after the sale. That means a lot to me. I can tell you this for sure; my gun dealer turned me onto Savages and he has been in business for over 30 years. He has never had anybody come into his shop wanting him to send a Savage back because it was a poor shooter. The company has been under new mgmt for the last 5- 6 years and has really improved their product line with great quality and great looks. They have a new mod 14 American Classic that has beautiful wood and is their "pretty" wood gun. It has a Savage Indian head medallion on the pistol grip; beautiful gun. They have nice laminate stocks and synthetic stocks that are pretty well the standard in the industry. As for the accutrigger you would have to have been hiding under a rock for the last few years as to not have heard of this. It isan adjustable trigger that the owner of the gun can adjust himself down to 1 1/2 # pull but is safe from any kind of accidental misfire andhas the other gun makers scrambling and green with envy. Free floated and dual pillar mounted , stainless or blued; heavy or sporter bbls. Two position safeties, box , hinged floorplate, and internal magazines are now offered in many of their firearms now to suit anybodies needs or likes. My gunsafe is loaded with many makes and models of rifles but I always seem to reach for my Savages as I have become addicted to extreme accuracy and reliability; that is what I get with my Savages.
HCH

[/align]
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

James...

Joe D is a great business man to deal with...I am assuming that is who dealt with. Even if it was not, I have never heard anything but great experiences with their customer service...

Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Nicely put James and Hardcorehunter. I've only owned one savage rifle. I like it for a lot of reasons. I really like that accu trigger. Its awsome! I wanted a gun chambered in 243 that had a good light trigger pulland that had a 26 inch bull barrel. Savage delivered it. Mine has the black plastic stock. The stock isn't big and baulky like whats on alot of 10 lb varmit rifles. In fact it the gun only weights 8.75 lbs bare. Which made it nice for carrying it hunting. It's got a good balance and feel to it. I couldn't be happier with it. Hoping to buy a 22 bolt action with the accu trigger in another month or two. I hear they are good too...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

That must be the same model that I have. Its the Black synthetic stock with the 26 inch barrel as well. I think the weight is 8.75 lbs. I have yet to shoot many rounds through it. The extractor didn't work right from the start and the range weather has not been very good here. I did load up some 130 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters to give it a good test this week. I had it to the range once and it shoot pretty well with two factory loads that I had with me. I didn't have my sand bags along as I was mainly chronographing the factory loads. I love the Acc-Trigger too. It does takle a few shots to get used to it.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

James B, was your extractor brass is color? I had the same problem with one in a Savage Model 12, .223. I bought it used and I didn't know what the problem was at the time so I took it back to the gun shop that I bought it from to have fixed. While there the owner was telling me that the problem was either theejector spring was too strong or there wasn't enough material on the bolt face to hold the shellagainst the extractor. I just told him I wanted it fixed andI left it there. A week later, he still hadn't gotten around to it, so I picked it back up and had a friend look at it. He was telling me that the ejector spring was probably the problem as well. I couldn't see that being theculprit so I just told him thanks for looking and came home with the gun. I then started comparing the bolt from my .223 to my Savage 110 7mm. I noticed that the spring tension for the ejectors wereabout the samebut the extractor on the .223 was brass looking in color. I broke out my magnifing glass and started looking at the extractor on my .223 and saw that it was worn a lot more than the 7mm, where it comes in contact with the case. I swaped extractors and it worked like a charm and has been ever since. I ordered a new one for the .223 from some company and had it in the mail in a couple of days.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:25 PM

Let me know what kind of groups you get out of that gun James. I would like to put mine on a bench rest and see what it would do. Seems like with a good rest I can keep most of my shots in a baseball size group at 200 yards... if I have been practicing. I shoot winchestor 95 grain ballistic tips.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK. I hope to shoot it this week. Today the wind is blowing 45 MPH so there is no way I will get to try it today. It shot about 1 1/2 inches with the WW 150 grain PP's but I didn't have a decent rest that day.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

Here is a typical 3 shot 100 ydgroup that my wife Hoytgirl shoots out of her mod 12BVSS 22.250. We use 55 gr Vmax moly Hornady factory ammo.
HCH

[/align]

Old 06-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could shoot like that if I wanted to. I just don't like to show off.

Quick Reply: Savage rifles again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.