Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 carbine-good brush gun >

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: M1 carbine-good brush gun

ORIGINAL: cyriaque

I guess the deer I killed with it yesterday and the men killed with it in several wars haven't read that it's not powerful enough!
When I was stationed in Alaska last century~!!!! there was an Eskimo teenager in Unalakleet who killed a polar bear with a .22 short. But that does not make the .22 rimfire a bear gun!!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:54 AM

I have a friend who used to use a .30 Carbine as a deer gun when he was younger. Every deer he shot dropped, and didn't get up. HIs dad and grandpa used the gun before him and never lost a deer. I wouldn't use it, but at short ranges it seems like it works.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tykempster

I have a friend who used to use a .30 Carbine as a deer gun when he was younger. Every deer he shot dropped, and didn't get up. HIs dad and grandpa used the gun before him and never lost a deer. I wouldn't use it, but at short ranges it seems like it works.
Well, as you know, bullet placement is the most important factor in killing game, regardless of what kind of bullet we're talking about!

TheEskimo kid who killed the Polar bear with his .22 stuck the muzzle of his rifle into the bear's open mouth, and shot it through the spinal cord from the INSIDE OUT! I wonder if I would have had presence on mind enough to do that, staring an enraged Polar bear in the face at such a close distance!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im betting the eskimo kid spent the rest of the day doing laundry
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Tell you what, James B., I'll take the M1 carbine and you bring the golf club and meet in an alley-winner take all.[:@]
Old 12-07-2005, 12:19 PM

New to the forum and first post. Thought I would stir the pot.

I know persons in Missouri who have harvested deer with the .30 carbine round and dead is dead. With good bullets, soft point, not FMJ, out to about 100 yards, I would not feel at all undergunned with the .30 carbine for white tail.

The .357 is commonly accepted as a handgun round for whitetail. Pull the ballistics charts and look at the .357 magnum round (either 4" or 18" barrel,I don't care) and compare it with the .30 carbine's energy.

I think if you can show deer on the ground from a .30 carbine round and black and white ballistics showing capacity to transfer energy into your target, what more proof can be given?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cyriaque

Tell you what, James B., I'll take the M1 carbine and you bring the golf club and meet in an alley-winner take all.[:@]
lol!!! i know who i'll put my money on!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 06:17 AM

I don't like the M1 carbine. Not enough knock down power. But it depends on the placement of the shot. I hunted in the 70's with one and I killed deer with it but always had to track the deer down and find them. My father fought in Korea and he hated the gun. He said it was useless as tits on a boar hog. He much prefered the M1 Garand over the carbine.

But if you like it and it works for you, then good. I like a remington 7400 or 742 .30-06 in the short carbine frame for a brush gun.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Im betting the eskimo kid spent the rest of the day doing laundry
Good bet!!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:08 AM

A short defense of the .30 Carbine round:

As DeGuello pointed out, bullet placement is everything and I would start with that as a given with regards to any shot fired with any round. Secondary to placement may be bullet construction, full metal jacket vs soft point vs SJ Hollow point, and so on.

My first 25 years hunting were in woods and swamps in Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. I never encountered a deer over 100 yards away while hunting, most 25-50. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between an unexpected (to them at least) shot on a subject, two legged or four at 50 yards and a "Hail Mary" shot with FMJ rounds at 200-300 yards at a charging Communist wearing 2-3 inches of heavy winter clothing and web gear as was the case in Korea, thinking specifically of Chosin in '50.

Know your subject, (agitated or not, heavily clothed, muscled, furred) , know your round, place your shots.

While not a great round or the "best" round whatever that may be, I think the .30 carbine is under appreciated for what it can do and is a fine entry caliber for the kind of shooting I have seen and described above.

Quick Reply: M1 carbine-good brush gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.