Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 carbine-good brush gun >

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Old 12-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: M1 carbine-good brush gun

ORIGINAL: teamboonera

New to the forum and first post. Thought I would stir the pot.

I know persons in Missouri who have harvested deer with the .30 carbine round and dead is dead. With good bullets, soft point, not FMJ, out to about 100 yards, I would not feel at all undergunned with the .30 carbine for white tail.

The .357 is commonly accepted as a handgun round for whitetail. Pull the ballistics charts and look at the .357 magnum round (either 4" or 18" barrel,I don't care) and compare it with the .30 carbine's energy.

I think if you can show deer on the ground from a .30 carbine round and black and white ballistics showing capacity to transfer energy into your target, what more proof can be given?
Well, for one thing,"foot-pounds" of energy is a somewhat misleading number. Itdoes nottranslate directly into "killing power", since there are a lot of other factors involved in terminal performance than just velocity and bullet weight.

However, as you say, dead is dead, and bullet placement is a lot more important than most other considerations when it comes to dropping game animals. For example, W.D.M. Bell killed over 800 elephant with a 7mm Mauser, and there have been people who have failed at this task with a 600 Nitro Express!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tykempster

I have a friend who used to use a .30 Carbine as a deer gun when he was younger. Every deer he shot dropped, and didn't get up. HIs dad and grandpa used the gun before him and never lost a deer. I wouldn't use it, but at short ranges it seems like it works.

Watch the lion hunt video

Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the .30 Carbine headed for the legendary 243 message board discussion status??
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: tykempster

I have a friend who used to use a .30 Carbine as a deer gun when he was younger. Every deer he shot dropped, and didn't get up. HIs dad and grandpa used the gun before him and never lost a deer. I wouldn't use it, but at short ranges it seems like it works.
Watch the lion hunt video
If that guy'd only had his trusty M1 Carbine....
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: teamboonera

A short defense of the .30 Carbine round:

As DeGuello pointed out, bullet placement is everything and I would start with that as a given with regards to any shot fired with any round. Secondary to placement may be bullet construction, full metal jacket vs soft point vs SJ Hollow point, and so on.

My first 25 years hunting were in woods and swamps in Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. I never encountered a deer over 100 yards away while hunting, most 25-50. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between an unexpected (to them at least) shot on a subject, two legged or four at 50 yards and a "Hail Mary" shot with FMJ rounds at 200-300 yards at a charging Communist wearing 2-3 inches of heavy winter clothing and web gear as was the case in Korea, thinking specifically of Chosin in '50.

Know your subject, (agitated or not, heavily clothed, muscled, furred) , know your round, place your shots.

While not a great round or the "best" round whatever that may be, I think the .30 carbine is under appreciated for what it can do and is a fine entry caliber for the kind of shooting I have seen and described above.
very well said. i comepletely agree.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cyriaque

Lightweight, powerful and accurate enough at 50-75 yards, easy to carry and handle. Softnose bullet expands well.
I agree....the .30 M-1 carbine is a great brush gun.....I used it to bag brush a long time. I have brush hanging on the wall and ate some good brush too....it can be good if it's cooked right. As a brush gun the M-1 is great...

Then one day I discovered deer in that brush and that M-1 carbine became worthless as tits on a boar. I went out and bought a deer gun.....something with more than 15 grains of powder in the casing.

If you want a brush gun.....ya got one....if you want a deer gun.....find one with some power.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I once shot a Badger seven times with the M-l carbine. The Badger finally died of old age and one more shot with a shotgun.