Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M1 carbine-good brush gun >

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 carbine-good brush gun

Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Default M1 carbine-good brush gun

Lightweight, powerful and accurate enough at 50-75 yards, easy to carry and handle. Softnose bullet expands well.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Default RE: M1 carbine-good brush gun

Good brush gun for what? Smallish whitetails, but I wouldn't hunt large bodied animals with it, unless there was no other option, like a survival situation. Power? Don't kid yourself, in terms of energy delivered, it compares reasonably closely to a .357 Magnum fired from a carbine, again, best at 50-75 yards. There are better calibers and better firearms for brush.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cyriaque

Lightweight, powerful and accurate enough at 50-75 yards, easy to carry and handle. Softnose bullet expands well.
Powerful? POWERFUL??? You think a 110 grain roundnose bullet at 1900 FPS MV is powerful???

The .30 Carbine round is just barely adequate for jackrabbits!! And then only if you use softpoint bullets. With ball ammo, you can't rely on it even stopping a jack! Let alone anything bigger!

I used the damn thing in combat once-but only until I was able to grab an M14!!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used the damn thing in combat once
I'd have hated to have been in your shoes. M-1 carbines give you the worst ofboth worlds. You don't have the range of anybody else's rifles, yet you also don't have the stopping power of a 1911 or any other reasonably sized pistol.[]

That said, I can see where an M-1 would be fun for plinking.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I used the damn thing in combat once
I'd have hated to have been in your shoes. M-1 carbines give you the worst ofboth worlds. You don't have the range of anybody else's rifles, yet you also don't have the stopping power of a 1911 or any other reasonably sized pistol.[]

That said, I can see where an M-1 would be fun for plinking.
Well, I was lucky! Mine was an M2! But I always used it set on semi-auto because on full auto, only the first three rounds came close to hitting anything, and the rest went over the hill!

However, yes, the little contraption is a fun plinker, and it was great fun owning one in the days of plentiful GI ammo. Now, it's a different story...... You can shoot an SKS cheaper these days.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get yourself a Mini 14 for a plinker, ammo is more readily available, and its pretty much the same action.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM

At 50-75 yards I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fine for whitetails and the like.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

At 50-75 yards I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fine for whitetails and the like.

HA!The Marines in Korea would grab them by the barrel and hurl them as far as they could!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:19 PM

I guess the deer I killed with it yesterday and the men killed with it in several wars haven't read that it's not powerful enough!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are not legal for deer where I hunt. They are not a very effective weapon for anything. They will kill a man or a deer but so will a golf club. (only faster).

Quick Reply: M1 carbine-good brush gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.