Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Model 70 actions >

Model 70 actions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 70 actions

Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Model 70 actions

I have been looking pretty hard at a new Model 70. Specifically the Coyote Lite and the Coyote laminated. They both have a Controlled Round Push Feed action as opposed to the regular Controlled Feed Action.

Does anyone have any experience with the CRPF action as opposed to the CRF? I am curious as to the benefits of one over the other, as well as strength and reliability.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Model 70 actions

The CRPF is simply a hybrid of the same push feed bolt head that has been used on model 70's since the conversion from CRF back about 1964.

It uses the same exact bolt and extractor as the push feed design but with two modifications. The bottom of the bolt is relieved so that the rim of the cartridge can slide under the extractor and it uses a fixed ejector instead of the plunger used of the push feed bolt.

Basically it blends the benefits of both designs into one single bolt. You got controled round feeding but with the benefit of being able to drop a round into the chamber and still be able to close the bolt like on a push feed. You can't do this on the regular CRF bolt design.

To be honest I don't know why this design wasn't brought about many many years ago.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Spike

Thanks bigbulls. Now I just have to get off the fence and choose one model or the other!!

Hmmm... or should I get a BLR?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Can someone back up a few steps and explain Winchester bolt actions in even simpler terms for an avid hunter like me who just uses the gun and really doesn't know that much about it (I bought my M70 30-06 in the early 80s used just because it was in good condition and I could afford it - that's the only thought I put into it... but it works very well, lucky for me!)

I understand that there is a basic difference between my early 80s vintage model 70 bolt and the "pre-64" bolts. I also know that they've started selling the pre-64 type bolt in new guns. From the above discussion, I think I now understand that there's a 3rd type of bolt action, a hybrid?

So, in real simple terms, what are the types of actions, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks much!