HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good long-range deer calibers.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 PM
stubblejumper
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

That's why my mantra always is thatthere is no functional difference between so many calibers and cartridges - there just isn't any functional difference in trajectory or power delivered at the maximum range most of us can and should be shooting at.
You are correct in that there is little functional difference between so many cartridges at the ranges that most hunters can actually shoot accurately at.The simple fact is that the majority of hunters practise very little and are not able to accurately place bullets at distances exceeding 200 yards or even less.I make this statement after observing hundreds of hunters shoot at our local range.However for those fewof us that shoot hundreds of rounds per year practising at ranges out to 500 yards or more,some cartridges do indeed offer advantages.I personally hunt with 7mmstws and 300ultramags and the very flat trajectory and the fact thathigher velocity bullets are less effected by wind does make them more desireable for taking game atdistances approaching 500 yards.