HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good long-range deer calibers.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Krockus

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

I do believe that higher powered rifles make up for bad shots placed on animals at say within 150yrds or closer.I once was a bad shot cause I shook alot when seen deer and was unable to keep the bullet from going every where except where I wanted it to. I have learned to control that somewhat till after the first shot is placed in the vitals. Many rifles I haved used in my time and still own a variety of them I like my 30 30 in a bolt action.It can plug deer out to 200yrds with no problem.For longer shots out to 300yrds I would have to say the 280 for bringing down elk size animals.I can't say there is just one gun for all game.My opinion is start with something that you would feel comfortable with to shoot.I myself don't like high speed calibers includeing and under a 270.And for semi automatics and pump riflesfor big game, I find them less accurate than a bolt action.But for if you only want 1 gun for everything from deer to moose and grizzly and didn't have plans of buying anymore.I would say the 7mm mag or the 7mm rum= remington ultra mag 140 and 175 grain bullets.This is just my opinion.