Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 ga. sabot slugs >

12 ga. sabot slugs

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 ga. sabot slugs

Old 08-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 ga. sabot slugs

Rick,

Most Remington 870's have a 1-35 twist rate. That is the most important factor when trying to consider sabot performance in any given gun.
You should find that most sabots that perform well in any quality gun with a 1-35 twist should generally do well in your gun.
Those guns would include Savage 210, and Mossberg 695's amongst others.

I have for the most part have shot every high quality sabot on the market out of my Savage 210. (the new Hornady SST being an exception,(It is not expected that it will stabilize well in a 1 turn in 35 barrel, and it iscurrently a special orderitem at most shops)).

While the Copper Solids were one of the top performers, I found two others that that had equivelant accuracy and better ballistics performance.One was the Winchester PartitionGolds.

Even better than the Partitions was the Remington Core Lokt Ultra's. Not only are they extremely accurate, they also have one of the flattest trajectories on the market.

This will not guarantee that they will shoot great in your gun. However it would be foolish not to give them a try!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

The BRI slugs only carry about 950 ftlbs of energy at 100yds. They will be travelling at about 990 fps.

Conventional wisdom calls for 1000-1200 ftlbs for taking deer sized game.

So, yes....it will be adequate. However, with so many more powerful, (and flatter shooting)options, it would not be my first choiceina gun that I may be required to use at 100yds on live game.
JCC were I hunt, you're lucky if youever shootover 40 or 50yds. It depends were
and what part of the country you hunt at.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mideerhunter
should this gun be good out to about 100 yards for deer, maybe a little bit further... is there still enough knockdown power at 100 yards?
Rebel.... I was responding to this question in which he was specificallyasking about shooting 100+ yards.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

ORIGINAL: mideerhunter
should this gun be good out to about 100 yards for deer, maybe a little bit further... is there still enough knockdown power at 100 yards?
Rebel.... I was responding to this question in which he was specificallyasking about shooting 100+ yards.

I answered it cause I shoot Win. BRI, and have no need to shoot 100yds.
I was merely stateing, as long as he stays at90 or 100yds, the BRI's are fine.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM

I plan on going with Remington Core-Lokt Ultra's myself. My brother has the same gun as I do, Remington Express Mag. Synthetic w/monte carlo and 23" Super Slug barrel andthe sameSimmons 1.5-5X variable scope, and his shoots the Copper Solids better. Goes to show you no two guns are exactly alike no matter how similar they are.

I want to try those new Hornady sabots they came out with. I think those would be pretty good. Haven't researched them to see exactly how good.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I got out to therange and shotrem. copper solids andlightfield sabotside by side (both 2 3/4"), 3 shots per group.

The copper solid group was about 2 - 3" at 50yd. The lightfield group was about the same size. Lightfield had noticably more kick, bigger hole in thetarget than copper solids.

I plan to use lightfields this season. Slightly less expensivewith the same accuracy when shot from my 870 express.

-Rick C.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 AM

How about the Win. Platinum Tips, the BRI's used to be the cheapest around here and shot excellent through my gun, my shots will be up to 80 yards, yep i actually got out a tape measure and measured it...lol...But now i can get the Win.. Platinum tips for 9.99 around here a box, wow what a deal for 5 of them....not...lol...but they are like a handgun style bullet, not like the BRI's hourglass shape, which i know a lot of ppl don't like, how do you think the Platinums tips would work?...or am i just as good sticking with the BRI's?...plus they kick ALOT less, i would know, the scope hit me in the face with the platinum tips...[]...lol
Old 09-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always shot Win. BRI thru my gun with great success.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

I've test many sabots in my 500. My best results are with the winchester partitiongolds. but I also get great accurecy with BRIs. What I did last year waskeep my old slugs in a plastic bag.You can also buy a coupleboxs of BRIs and partitions after the season on sale and kept them in a plastic bag, even being a year old they shootwell. Use my old slugs whenI firstcheck my sights. Then this yearI bought 2 boxes ofpartitions. Shot3 timeto make sureI was right on the money and got7 leftto hunt with.