Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sabot Slugs

Old 12-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sabot Slugs

I have a Remington 870 Super Mag and I was just wondering what sabots people would reccomend. I know I'd have to test out some different slugs, but this way I would narrow down my choices. So, what's the best you have found?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 PM

Default RE: Sabot Slugs

Winchester partition golds, 1oz barnes expanders from Federal, and Lightfield Commande IDS. Those have been the most accurate for me. Good luck
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best accuracy I’ve had so far is with the Remington Copper Solid 1 oz sabot slugs.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

From an older thread where another member asked the same question...

The first to try would be..

Lightfields
Winchester Partition Golds
Remmington Core Lokts

TheLightfields are great generic slugs, they seem to work well in many guns. Unfortunately they are sub-par when comparing down range trajectories to other premium sabots.

Winchester Partitions group very well out of the right guns and have great down range trajectories.

Remmington Core Lokts group very well out of good amount of guns and have possibly the best down range trajectories available.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

barnes expanders from Federal if I`m going with sabots but I tend to shoot plain old Federal classics. Going to try the tru ball from federal soon.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:52 AM
RPL

In my 870, I found 2 3/4" Remington Coppersolids, Federal's Barnes Expanders and my current favorite, Winchester's Platinum Tip.
I tried Winchester's Partition Gold, accuracy was acceptable but not as good as the others named.
I want to try some Hornady SST's to see how they shoot.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM

I have a buddy that has the same gun and his likes the regular winchester sabots in the 3 inch offering. Doesn't care for the 2 3/4 inchers at all though.

Paul
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

The ones that shoot the best in my BRN A-5 12gaW/Hastings Barrel is Winchester BRI's.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on what results you are expecting.
Assuming you are using a fully rifled barrell. For flat trajectory and distance, I would go with #1- Remington core-lokt ultra, #2- Winchester partition gold, #3 Hornady SST. The Hornady SST will have the lowest recoil due to a 300gr slug. Rem. & Win. has 385gr These slugs (bullit's) are in a class of their on. To keep from leading the barrell any of the others should work. A good all around compromise is the Remington copper solid.

Only my opinion
Old 01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jff12854

Depends on what results you are expecting.
Assuming you are using a fully rifled barrell. For flat trajectory and distance, I would go with #1- Remington core-lokt ultra, #2- Winchester partition gold, #3 Hornady SST. The Hornady SST will have the lowest recoil due to a 300gr slug. Rem. & Win. has 385gr These slugs (bullit's) are in a class of their on. To keep from leading the barrell any of the others should work. A good all around compromise is the Remington copper solid.

Well stated...

However I would doubt that any shooter would actually notice the difference in the felt recoil between the shells you mentioned and the SST's.

Quick Reply: Sabot Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.