Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 David Tubbs bore finish? >

David Tubbs bore finish?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

David Tubbs bore finish?

Old 07-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Default David Tubbs bore finish?

I was at chuckhawks.com a couple days ago and this guy was talking about different ways to accurize a rifle. Anywayhe tested this product called final finish bore conditioning system andacording too the autheritreduced the group size by about 40 percent.Myquestion is has any body here tried this product and what kind of succese have you experianced? Here's a link to the article.http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm
Old 07-10-2005, 06:45 PM

Default RE: David Tubbs bore finish?

This process can have a major benficial impact to a rifle barrel that is a little on the rough side. I've got a factory Remington .25-06 barrel that could probably use this treatment. Shoots pretty well, but builds a lot of copper in only a dozen or so shots and takes days to get clean. I don't think I would waste my money doing this to a premium barrel like Krieger, Hart, or Lilja though.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have never heard of it but sounds worthwhile. If you use it I would appreciate if you posted your feedback. My barrel seems to foul quickly and is difficult to clean similar to the scout in the article.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:14 PM
bigcountry

Yep, I used it and highly recommend not using it. I ruined a rifle bore with it. Maybe I used to slow powder or something, but I borescoped it before and it was rough but at least the rifling had its edges and shot 1MOA or better. I just hated thecopper fouling. But after the tubbs kit, I turned a 1MOA rifle into a 1.5 to 2MOA rifle. Never could get my accuracy back. Tried 4 different bullets, 3 different powders and different primers. I ended up taking back to the gunsmith and borescoped with a hawkeye again, and the all the edges were rounded. Never again. Ended up with a new barrel.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used it once on a Remington 700 7mm mag. I don't think it accomplished much of anything. After the treatment the barrel fouled about the same and shot about the same also. I certainly won't be using it again.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I used the Tubb system on an old Win Model 100 that has seen much better days. It coppered fouled horribly with accuracy to match. After running all the bullets through it, the fouling stopped- or at least to a point that is comparable to any other average rifle. Acuraccy was also better - I had groups instead of patterns at 100 yds.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:06 PM

I've used it on two .30-06 rifles and got mixed results. One rifle was a Ruger M77 MkII that never, ever shot worth a darn, despite numerous efforts such as bedding, trigger job, etc. I bought that one new in 2001 and finally dumped it last year. TYhe Tubbs bulets helped somewhat but not enough to make the gun a decent shooter.

The other rifle I used them in is a Remington 700 BDL that I bought new last year. It shot respectably out of the box but fouled quickly and was a bugger to clean. After the Tubbs bullets the groups tightened up a bit, it was much easier to clean and does not foul so quickly. I used the lightest charge of IMR 4064 that the Hornady manual specified for this bullet weight. I am very happy with the results I got here and I really like this rifle now.

These bullets are not for use in custom or match barrels; they do their best work on the average factory barrel or a barrel with some erosion in the throat area. I would not hesitate to use them again on another new run-of-the-mill rifle, but before using it on yours you should remember that you are in fact running mildly abrasive bullets through your bore, and you are taking some material off when doing so. There ain't no going back if you mess up so think about this. You definitely want to use the lightest charge of the fastest burning powder your loading manual specifies. The instructions spell all this out.

That Chuck Hawks article is what got me interested in the Tubb bullets. I would not expect that everyone is going to get a 40% reduction in group size. My groups shrunk from just over an inch to just under an inch at 100 yards. This small a change could be a statistical fluke, and could just as easily be impacted by variations in wind, temperature, humidity and many other factors unrelated to the condition of the bore. I'm pretty careful about my reloads but I don't load for match accuracy, I load for hunting accuracy, weighing every powder charge but NOT weighing every bullet.

Caveat emptor.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 AM
bigcountry

You know guys why not hand lap it instead? Many gunsmiths recommend handlapping. With the mop brush and some compound, I bet its much safer..