Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tubbs Final Finish >

Tubbs Final Finish

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tubbs Final Finish

Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tubbs Final Finish

Has anyone tried Tubbs Final Finish to lap their barrels. I have been researching this product and have read mixed reviews. Most of the reviews claim increased accuracy, increased velocity and less fouling. Other reviews have nothing negative to report other than they were fearful to shoot abrasive bullets down their barrel. Have any of the experienced shooters on this site used or know of anyone that has used this product? If so, what were the results? If so, would you or they use it again? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Tubbs Final Finish

I did it years ago on a 300RUM that fouled badly. I ruined a barrel and had to get it rebarreled. Basically all the rifling was not sharp after shooting it. It fouled less, but accuracy went from 1MOA to almost 2MOA. Never good get it shoot well after that. If you do it, be sure to borescope before and after. I did.

Maybe I handloaded with too slow powder. If I was to do it again, I would use the fastest powder I can use and the starting load at that. I used 92gr of H1000 which is the starting load for 180gr bullets. I would have picked maybe IMR4350 or something.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:00 PM

I used it on a cheaper match grade barrel ( I knew it was on the bottom of the match barrel scale when I bought it but the price was right)that just was not quite up to snuff and wanted to see if I could make it shoot before I scrapped it. The product work as advertised for me.If you follow the directions and reduce standard load by 10% and use 2/3 of product supplied under the other guide lines then it does as intended.

I think some may use it for the wrong reasons i.e. not the barrel finish that is the problem.

This barrel would only produce about 1.5 moa which was unacceptable for a highpower competition rifle in my opinion. In scoping the barrel it was a little rough so I gave it a try. I have over 4000 rounds through it since and it produces 1/2-3/4 moa.

I still have not used the final 1/3 of the product because I have had no accurracy fall off since theoriginal treatment.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a firm believer in hand lapping barrels and have done so not only with my rifles,but also customer's rifles. With hand lapping,you can feel "tight" spots or burrs. I have had to change customer's barrels when they brought me rifles that they had firelapped. I don't know how or what they did wrong,but the barrels needed replacement when they brought them to me. It seems firelapping idea is for people that don't want to go to time and trouble to do it properly (by hand) in my opinion. I have learned that you get back what you put in in my 26 years as professional gunsmith.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 PM

I've used the final finish in 4 rifles and gained 30 to 40% accuracy in each one. Two of the barrels were new and two were worn including a German K98 that went from rags to riches. The guy isn't the world champ because of luck....follow the directions to the letter. The techie down there told me to fire lap with standard loads for what it's worth. They have a toll free number and are very responsive. Regards, Rick.