Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 lazer bore site >

lazer bore site

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lazer bore site

Old 06-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default lazer bore site

I was just thinking about sightining in my new NEF .243 and was wondering about the lazer boresighters I have seen offered on cabellas. I wouldnt think you could get much more accureate than that. Anybody used or own one of these things? How accureate are they anyway? EJ
Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lazer bore site

Forget about all of that mess. To bore sight a rifle all you have to do is open it up so that you can see down the bore. Lock down the gun in a shooting vice or rest it so that it won't move. Center a distand object in the bore and then adjust your scope to the object also. Now you are bore sighted.

Even if you buy one of those expensive lasers you will still have to shoot the rifle to get sighted in. No matter how accurate the bore sighting device is or which method you use the bullet will 99.99999999999% of the time not shoot to the same place as your crosshairs are set from bore sighting.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Bigbulls, is correct. I have bought two of the different laser
bore sighters and it's a waste of money, IMO. On lever actions
I use a Bushnell Colliminator to come close on setting the
cross hair's on the scope, but you have to fire it to give it
the final adjustments on the scope.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 AM

Big bulls has it good - just put a target out about 30 ft and adjust the scope reticles on the target. You'll be on paper.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 PM

you have to remember that a lazer in the bore will always be high of your bullet. the lazer projects a straight line and the bullet starts to drop the very moment it leaves the barrel. so you may as well save your money and just look down the bore to get it close enough to start with. skip the lazer and buy more shells and enjoy the gun. you will be amazed how good those guns shoot.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

The NEF is perfect for just looking thru the barrel as suggested. Put the thing in a clamp and point the bore at an object about 10yds away. Adjust the scope to be about 2" directly above the object the bore is focused on. Then set up at the range at 25 yds to make sure you're close and then move the distance back until you're getting the POI you want at the distance you want it.

BTW, when you're adjusting the scope in boresighting this way, the adjustments are OPPOSITE of what the dials say. For example, if the scope needs to come up, turn the dial in the DOWN direction. But at the range, the dials are correct.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I dont believe I will be buyin one of those thingeys. I will try it this weekend and we will get it in closer at the grasslands. Rattlesnake season is in so we might get a few of those as well. EJ