Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How does a laser bore site work? >

How does a laser bore site work?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How does a laser bore site work?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Default How does a laser bore site work?

How do they work? Do you align it at your target range or point blank??
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How does a laser bore site work?

Bore sighting is best done a few feet from the bore. Set your gun level and plumb, pull the bolt, look down the barrel, make a mark on the wall, and align your scope to the spot you see thru the barrel. Keep in mind when you are a few feet from the bore that your scope knobs work backwards. Send the ca$h I saved you onthe laser to me so I can buy more ammo. Good luck.

(Quite frankly I do all my bore sighting in the garage, I have the garage door marked like a target with tic marks on it, and i set my gun level and plumb about 6' fromthe door. To re-check my alignment I wait til the neighbor's F350 pulls in and re-boresight it on his hub cap center. This system has NEVER failed to put me less than 4" from the bull on the firsttarget shot.And I have done many many rifles this way for myself and others.)

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 AM

Yes they work but there are better ways to do it. We take the bolt out of a gun and look through the bore and align it on a light on this cell tower about 3/4 mile away. Ten we line the scopes crosshairs up with the light without moving the gun at all. This normally gets us really close. Now some guns you cant do this with sicne you cant look down the bore. Preatty much any pump, semi auto, or lever gun this is not possible.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

laser boresighters work well, but I agree that looking through the barrrel works as well, especially if you have a big caliber (30). I use the laser at home when I do some maintenance on my rifles.

I start with a rifle that is already zeroed and aim across the basement at a sighting target. I mark the position of the laser bean on the target when aiming dead center. Now you can remove your scope, put it back and recreate the same alignment. Your rifle will be zeroed.

If your scope is mounted 2.5" above the bore axis the crosshair will be approximately 2.5" higher than the laser mark.

You have to remember the laser are not perfect and they might shoot at a very tiny angle from the axis of the barrel.