Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lazer tuning

Old 09-01-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Lazer tuning

went to the proshop and the dealer was talking about laser tuning his bow. what the heck is he talking about, and what is the benefit of lazer tuning vrs paper tuning.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lazer tuning

laser tuning is a device that bolts to the bow where the sight mounts
to get the center shot.

you set the beam to the center of the string then place an arrow into the rest and set the arrow to the center of the laser beam for perfect center shot. Clear as Mud?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:13 PM

I agree with Big Papa , I have a laser tuner ans I use it but you still need to shoot throught paper to make the FINE adjustments .
ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout

laser tuning is a device that bolts to the bow where the sight mounts
to get the center shot.

you set the beam to the center of the string then place an arrow into the rest and set the arrow to the center of the laser beam for perfect center shot. Clear as Mud?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Laser tuning is a good start but will never replace paper tuning.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM

Laser tuning is far more than what has been stated and what is normally accepted.

Yes, I have the laser device that bolts to the riser where the sight mounts; but, that is the laser that I trust the least. It is only an indicator and can be very misleading due to various aspects of bow construction/design. The President of EZE-EYE was furious at me when he found out that I preferred other lazers over his. OPPS!

The other two lasers that I use are manufactured by Spot Hogg and Apple. The Spot Hogg is great for a quick check of cam lean and can be an indicator of other alignment problems. The Apple, while more difficult to use over the SH, can be slightly more exact and give better indications due to its mounting configuration. There are instances/situations where one will definitely work better than the other. Having one is good - having both is great. Knowing how to effectively use them is priceless.

Hope this helps.

Ps Beware of those who think sophisticated tool presentation makes them look good.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

I also use the lazers now as they are pretty simple when using certain ones for certain applications, but as Len correctly stated they do not always tell the true tale of the tape in all instances or are the "be-all, end-all" of tuning. You can determine cam lean, limb twist, and centershot without them--- sometimes easier in fact if you have your "method" down---techs have been doing that long before the lazers came to be. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up one of the EZE eye pro laser center shot tools last winter and have been using it quite often as a good starting point for the tuning process. It can help tremendously for those that do not even know where to start when setting centershot. It also works fairly well at checking other straightness aspects of the bow's design but consider that a secondary function of the device.

As Len made reference to, there are other forms of laser tuning devices used to check cam alignment, string angle, limb torque, etc... but I have not seen them advertised much for the general consumer nor do I know what price range they are offered. I think they definitely would be a handy tool for those folks that are fascinated with the mechanics of the compound bow.