Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 2nd question (Attn: Boat gear-heads) >

2nd question (Attn: Boat gear-heads)

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

2nd question (Attn: Boat gear-heads)

Old 04-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Default 2nd question (Attn: Boat gear-heads)

Ok...so I have an old (I'm guessing early 80s) Ranger fiberglass bass boat. Trailer, Evinrude 115, trolling motor,...one of those things that you can tell was a pretty nice set-up back in its day. It has sat in a garage for the last ten years. So far I know I'll have to have the Carb redone. New tires...what else can I expect to replace/work on. I'm not trying to make this a "pretty nice set-up" I'm wanting a boat and trailer to make an hour drive at night, fish on river and get back home again without any horror stories.

I know I'll need to chech trailer wiring (this I don't need help with)
I know this is an incredibly vague question.
*Engine *Steering *Boat wiring/plumbing are were I need help. I'll have more specifics when I go home this weekend to look things over a little closer.
Any forewarnings or advice are appreciated.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2nd question (Attn: Boat gear-heads)

push hard on the motor. Look for any movements in the transom. If it flexes more than just a little, the boards may be rotted.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:37 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

You may need to work on the steering, could need anything from a new cable to an entirely new system. Just turn the steering wheel and if it moves the motor back and forth freely and fairly easy it should be ok. If you have to replace everything it will be around $200-$300. It should have a new water pump installed before running it and may need a new starter. Should probably also have the lower unit checked.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got that same motor in an 84 version just a few months ago. It ran good after it warmed up but was a devil to start and warm up. After checking, I had more vacuum leaks than Cardeers underwear. I replaced all those hoses and now it starts and runs great. I also had to replace the steering on my 84 bass boat. It's not a bad job at all and the steering is about $150. If you want to check for leaks in the boat, put your drain plug in and put water inside the boat. It will leak out just like it leaks in.