Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS? >

QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS?

Old 01-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS?

When you screw the muzzy 3 blade on shaft do you try to line the blades up with the fletching?Or doesnt that matter?

And if you do does that mean i can only use aluminum shafts so i can heat the inserts after broadheads are tight to align them?

Also what size fletch and offset do you recomend?

Can i still use my 6500 carbon impact arrows 29.5" with 4"fletch with slight offset fletch ive been using with mech.heads?

Im shooting 65lbs. 29" draw

SORRY ABOUT ALL THE QUESTIONS,!!!!!

CAN ANY OF YOU FIXED BROADHEAD SHOOTERS STEER ME & MY ARROWS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?????THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND ANY REPLYS,I will try not to bother yous mutch more!!!THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS?

I'm shooting a 29 1/2 draw with about 65 pounds and shoot Beman ICS 340 arrows with a muzzy 3 blade 100 grain bh..........I get perfect arrown flight and do no special tuning.

My bh hit the exact same spot as my field points..........
Old 01-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Blades and fletchings DO NOT have to be aligned with any arrow or set up. What must be right is that the head is ON STRAIGHT. With aluminum you can spin test, heat and turn until you get it at the optimum position. With carbons you still should spin test but reheating can ruin or weaken the arrow. With carbons it's best to glue with one of the slower drying epoxys so you have time to spin and move before it sets. When you build the arrows have a bunch of the broadheads you'll be using screwed in the inserts and test them as you build. Put the best in the quiver and they'll be hunters. Put the rejects in the practice quiver.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

WOULD THEY SHOOT BETTER WITH A 5" HARD RIGHT HELICAL FLETCH?
AND HOW DO YOU SPIN TEST WITH OUT ANY SPECIAL EQUIPTMENT??
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

4 inch or 5 inch is a personnal preference kind of deal. If you're shooting fingers I'd definitely shoot the 5". I "myself" would not go to a "HARD" helical. Just a little. Some people just do a slight offset but I've found a small amount of helical is best and all that's needed. My set up is similar to yours and my arrows fly great(29 inch arrows, 125 grain Thunderheads with 4 inch helical)

As far as spin testing... some people just spin them on their nail, some lay them on a flat table and roll with the feathers hanging off. I nail two sets of two nails into a board about 2 feet long. I arrange the nails so they form an X. You just put them in far enough to hold the arrows. The two sets of nails are usually 18-20 inches apart. I lay the arrow across the X's with a cardboard box in front of the point. I push the arrow forward and make a slight tiny hole with the point in the box surface.(the smaller the better) I then back the arrow up an eigth of an inch or so and roll it on the X's. If the point stay true to the hole in the box the head is on straight. If it wanders up or down or left and right away from the tiny hole, it's not straight. I will change heads when I find one that's not straight to make sure it's the insert that's in crooked and not a bent broadhead ferrell itself.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:33 PM

This year I used 75 grain muzzys, using a STRAIGHT fletch, and they flew great. I shoot a 27 inch draw at 60lbs. Got myself a nice fat doe with them too durring late season. I didn't get a pass-thru, I think because my arrow only weighed in at 320 grains, but double lung non the less.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:50 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Couldn't have said it better than davidmil.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I line up my flectings with my broadhead 100gr muzzys. What I do and never had any trouble is you heat the broadhead not the arrow with low heat. Just enough to melt the glue so you can move the broadhead.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to say I use Goldtip 5575 carbons!!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 PM

You should'nt need to align the blades. Just make sure the arrow spins like a top and you should'nt have any problems. Muzzy and Gold Tip carbons are an awesome combo.

Quick Reply: QUESTION ABOUT TUNNING MUZZY BROAD HEADS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.