Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

ultralight rods?

Old 05-21-2003, 04:47 PM

Default ultralight rods?

Ive been looking at ultralight spinning rods and need a little advice. Most of these little rods are kind of short, is there any advantage to a longer rod for casting little spinner baits like 1/16 oz roostertails or the like on 4 or 6 lb line?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ultralight rods?

Longer rods ( noodle rods) are better than short rods on light line cause the rod takes the abuse rather than the line. To set the hook you sorta sweep the rod back rather than jerking it back hard enough to cross the fishs eyes. I have even gone down to 2lb. test, when you go this light you MUST have a reel that has an oh so smooth drag with out any stickyness what so ever. You can cast small lures a mile with this set up be it 2lb, 4lb.With 6lb I go to a little different rod. The thing to remember is, balance your rig to the size of fish you are after and the size of baits used. Biggest fish I landed with 2lb test was a 15lb carp, most of the time in that battle it was all I could do just to hang on and yah luck was on my side. One more thing with light line, the acid build up in fish borders on lethal in an prolonged fight so any live release must be brought back to full strengh and then some.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:54 AM

Seadog, what do you think about the GLoomis 6ft noodle rod and six pound line using 1/16th oz lures for bass up to 3 lbs and panfish? You mentioned you use a little different rod for 6 lb line? Would a 6 or 6 1/2 ft light power fast action rod work better with 6 lb line for casting distance or would the noodle ul rod cast better?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

It' s pretty much 6 on one hand and 1/2 a dozen on the other.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Larry338,
If you' ve never fished ultralight much/at all, you' ll dig it. I got tons of bass strikes when fishing ultra light. I hardly ever landed them though. Depending on casting technique, you might get a little more distance from the stiffer of the 2 rods.