Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight >

Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight

Old 12-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight

I was thinking of getting a weatherby (i think its called a mark V) this year and was wondering if any had any experience with it. I saw on thier website that they have an accuracy guarantee, was thinking of getting the 270 or maybe the 270 Weatherby magnum (i believe that you have to shoot premium ammo for the guarantee).

Well just wanted to know what the board thought about.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight

The standard weatherby mark Vaccuracy is 1-1/2" for athree shot group.For the same money you could buy a sako that must shoot 1" three shot groups.For muchless money you can buy a tikka that must also shoot 1" groups befor being sold.For the price,the weatherby accuracy guarantee is certainly not impressive.I personally owned two mark V rifles and while both would meet the 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,neither would do 1" or better even with handloads.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM

I have to agree with stubblejumper, 1 1/2" inch 3 shot groups are not that impressive nor are they uncommon ina lot ofguns right out of the box. The weatherby is nice though with its 40 degree bolt throw,and I find the cheekpiece and the forearm taperto be the most comfortable for me of any mass produced gun that I have tried (on the Mark V deluxe anyways, I do not know if this same stock designis the one offered on the ultralight though).
Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 PM

The main problem with ALL of the WBY MAG cartridges is that the barrels have freebore.

If I were to buy a Weatherby rifle, I would buy one that is chambered in a standard cartirdge thus reducing the problem with freebore.

BTW, when a barrel has freebore, the rifling is cut back so the bullet has to jump a gap when it is fired before it makes contact with the lands of the rifling.

Most knowledgeble handloaders will seat the bullet depths for standard cartridges so the bullet is just off of the lands. It has been found through experimentation that this yeilds the best accuracy.

Some people have had rifles built and chambered for the WBY Magnum cartridges (me included). Gunsmiths will not cut the freebore short on a WBY cartridge to improve accuracy because if someone ever puts factory ammo in the rifle, the lack of freebore will result in unsafe chamberpressures.

The moral to the story, if you want a Weatherby Rifle chambered in a Weatherby Magnum cartridge, you have to be willing to accept the lower levels of accuracy.

The bigger question is real world hunting conditions and does a 1.0" vs 1.5" group rifle really matter? In most cases it does not.

The plus side of the Weatherby Ultra Light is that it has a Kieger Match Grade Barrel on it.

Sorting out the pluses and minuses on this one is going to keep you tossing and turning for quit a while. But then that is a fun problem to have - I think...?

Dsquared.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

sako that must shoot 1" three shot groups.For much less money you can buy a tikka that must also shoot 1" groups befor being sold.
Just to clarify something, the accuracy is actually better then what was posted. I took this information from the Beretta web site.

(All Sako and Tikka rifles prior to leaving the factory must fire a 1", 5 shot group, at 100 yards.)
Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

The plus side of the Weatherby Ultra Light is that it has a Kieger Match Grade Barrel on it.
The barrel that weatherby uses is a button rifled barrel made by criterion which is owned by kreiger.They do not use the well respected cut rifled kreiger barrel.However,I am sure that weathery uses the kreiger name in their advertising in the hopes that people that see the kreiger name may not know the difference.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

All Sako and Tikka rifles prior to leaving the factory must fire a 1", 5 shot group, at 100 yards.)
I stand corrected,that makes the sako and tikka accuracy standard even better than that of the weathery MOA.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 PM

RE: Kreiger barrels....

Interesting. I was going on memories of an article I once read in RIFLE Magazine (I think) about 2 years ago.

Thanks for the correction.

As I understand it, the rifles are now assembled in the mid west instead of Japan. I forget the name of the factory, but the writer as I recall did make special mention of the ultra-light rifle and what a good shooter it was.

Never the less that freebore is what messes up those WBY Mags.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dsquared
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Something I heard at the gun shop. Is this true? The weatherby ultralights are at most 3 consecutive shots because the heat generated will cause the fourth and fifth shot to fly. Is that why weatherby has a the three shot group as opposed to a 5 shot group. Are the weatherby ultralight barrels too thin?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howa of Japan still makes the vanguard and SACO makes the markVs in their plant in Maine.

Quick Reply: Weatherby MarK V ultralight weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.