Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 flipping and pitching >

flipping and pitching

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

flipping and pitching

Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default flipping and pitching

One of the best lures for flipping and pitching for bass is the plastic worm , or a spinnerbait preferably white with two willow leaf blades. Has anyone on this website have experience on flipping and pitching matted weeds. Because the only thing I flip and pitch is docks , and I really need some help catching some of those big bass I see in those matted weeds.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: flipping and pitching

Here in FLorida that's about all we do

1. Flipping and pitching all year long.

2. Morning is frogging the top

3. White spinner bait is always good..but consistent bass catching..pitching no doubt.

However.I've gone from a 7 foot medium heavy to 7 foot medium..
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Down here in Alabama where I fish frogs DO NOT work for some reason . I have used rage tail frogs by strike king and ZOOM horny toad . but neither have been working. Usually for flipping docks i use a medium heavy abu garcia rod with an abu garcia 5600 ambassadour with 17 lb flurocarbon . Also i use 3/8 ounce or 1/2 unce bullet weights. Do you thing this is a good combo ?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really need some help catching some of those big bass I see in those matted weeds.
heres what denny brauer says about it
http://brauerbass.com/articles/25_denny_aquaticweeds.htm

what i'll do is take a 3/4-1 oz jig and drop it thru holes on the edges of the matted grass, i will also pitch it over into the matted stuff, some times an arial assult may be needed, to get the bait thru i have pitched straight up to let the bait build up speed and bust thru the mat, another bait to try, if you don't have the confidence in the jig, is to use a big craw worm like a five inch riverside using a 1/2 oz bullet/worm weight...this style of fishing isn't for everyone but the rewards can pay off bigtime, most people won't put in the time and effort to get on a bunch of big fish, but it will work, you may have to cull a bunch of water but when you find a wad of fish you'll be smillin, i've tried to get my wife into this kind of fishing but it ain't for everybody, gotta have some paitents and study the maps
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Down here in Alabama where I fish frogs DO NOT work for some reason . I have used rage tail frogs by strike king and ZOOM horny toad .
Denny Bauer says the Rage Tail is best..but Oneshot7 warned me..he may be saying that because he's being sponcered by Strike King..ANyway..I bought the Rage tail..WARNING !!Don't waste your money..they sink..and are tough to fish..and cost 1.00 more per package.
Zooom are the best in my book..lively,,soft and a nice deep place to hide the hook.

but neither have been working. I only use them right over top of eel grass, lily pads or hydrilla flats..Usually for flipping docks i use a medium heavy abu garcia rod with an abu garcia 5600 ambassadour with 17 lb flurocarbon . Also i use 3/8 ounce or 1/2 unce bullet weights. Do you thing this is a good combo ?
Personlly ..I fish very similiar to Bill Dance..light..I use a BB split shot when Texas rigging or pitching and flipping..I want a slow swim presentation..and it works great for me.The BB won't slide and if I want to change lures..I simply get out the needle nose and pinch the BB off..then I can switch to a fluke or frog..If I decide to go back to Texas RIg put another BB on..and BB split shots now are 50 for 1.29 where as sliding bullet sinkers are about 10 for 1.99. also..no need to peg the BB from sliding..you can also pinch it about 18 inches up to make a make shift Carolina Rig to drift over the weeds..If ya wanna go wacky worm..take the BB off..this way you don't have to retie the fook. I use 4/0 for aboutall of my plastic baits..

On setting the hook there are 2 primary styles..

A. Quick set..feel the pick up ..worm must be in fishes mouth set the hook hard like Hank Parker..Most use a medium heavy for this.THIS does not work for me..

B. I use the Pull set..I feel fish .I use a 7 foot medium action with a lively tip..I feel fish absorb rod tip //I take a slight breath and as the fish is pulling the bait and tip I pull sharply back and follow through to penetrate the hook..I catch most of my fish like this..When Horny Toady I caught 25% with the Quick Set..the next week I used the pull set with medium rod..80 % were caught.

For me..flipping and pitching I use BB shot
Jigs..3/16 with pumpkin craw legs trailor.
on a windy day I may use 3/16 ounce bullet sinker.
Flourcarbon..I HATE IT..For me the best line out there is Power Pro 20 pound test and for finesse fishing Trilene 10 pound clear.

I'm not sure what you mean by the matted grass..Here's what I fish in..so instead of going in the grass ..my Horny Toad makes them come up out of the grass. If the bite is slow..I'll go to the cattails and flip and pitch..

Is this what you call matted weeds?? This is good ole hydrilla..however I have a lot of different structures..lots of cattails,,,islands,,rock bars..murky water...clear water...hydrilla and over hanging willows..

and those reedy islands...great for crankbaits...like this 8.2 was caught on..

I love pitching these islands..but watch out for the gators..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck as much as you like fishing on top off that stuff, there are more and bigger fish living below it. i have fished milfoil and hydrylla all my life, as deep as 18 ft. once the grass "tops out" there are two ways to fish it, on top like with the horny toad or a bunch of other "frogs and rats" that are made for it, or go underneath it, if your never fished below matted or topped out grass you are missing the boat. like i mentioned its not for everybody, but if your willing to work at it, and locate the better quality fish, remember big fish bunch up in summer just like they do in the winter, in deeper water with cover

summertime give me a deep diving crankbait for open water structure, and a big heavy 3/4 oz or more for deep thick grass, bass live under that canopy
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

summertime give me a deep diving crankbait for open water structure, and a big heavy 3/4 oz or more for deep thick grass, bass live under that canopy

I hear ya Uncle Keith..I had an inkling to go deep crank some this summer..AND I did stcik some heavy jigs in my box..I even got some with the rattles on the body..and I do carry some big bulletsinkers..One day when I fish..I'll promice ot leave all the other stuff home..this way I'm forced to fish only those lures..That's what I did with the frog..I left all other lures at home..i plan to do that one day with heavy jigs and one day with big crankbaits..I do have 30 foot drop offs at saddle Creek..I also have some hydrilla that is 6 foot thick..I've seen big bass swim in them..but not even my heaviest jig would pentetrate.

I do agree with ya..when your average bass is small ...and you love in Florida..you need to change your strategy..There are monsters to be caught..no doubt.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I also think if one wants to experiment with a new lure to do it when the fishing is at it's best like this Sat.one day before the full moon.,and 2-3 days before the new moon..
This Sat. keith I'll take out 3 lures..Horny Toad...is a must..Jigs ...all sizes.and deep diving crankbaits..
I 'll fish each lure for 2 hours each.. I'll let ya know how it goes..I predict Horny Toad will be the winner..