Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Flipping for bass

Old 03-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flipping for bass

I have bass fished for about 15 years now. I' ve never flipped or pitched for them however. I mostly fish in a 220 acres lake with standing timber, drop offs, rock piles, christmas trees, fallen trees, etc. I bought a 7' 6" heavy action rod, baitcast reel with 17 lb line, and about 10 jigs from 1/4 - 1oz. I also bought some pork frog trailers. Im looking for any and all tips concering flipping and pitching..when, where, how - its all game to me.. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Flipping for bass

Josh, Flippin/pitchin are very useful tools given the right water and conditions. Personally I pitch more than I flip. These tactics can be effective for trees, stumps, shallow weedlines, cat tails and many other bass holding covers. Many people flip docks/piers but personally I have found out that I can be much more effective skipping docks.

Something to remember is that jig n pigs are not the only tool for flippin. Also, when you use prok as a trailer, I take a small piece of rubber worm and put on the hookdown to the curve of the hook to keep the pork from turning and " blocking" your hook point for hook sets. This can happen frequently and you will not hook the fish when it happens. Myself, I try to stick with plastic trailers most of the time instead of pork to avoid this problem. good luck!
Old 03-30-2003, 05:48 PM

Default RE: Flipping for bass

I do most of my pitching with a St Croix Avid 6 6 spinning rod. I use an underhand pitch to throw jigs, tube jigs ,worms and such around cover .Your lure hits the water easy and dosen' t spook the fish. With a little practice you can drop a lure right where you want it.