Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Gimme the low down on top water >

Gimme the low down on top water

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Gimme the low down on top water

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gimme the low down on top water

ORIGINAL: Dairy King

What bout real thick moss blew up into a corner? I got a few hits and a couple landed on a plastic frog, but i cant remember the color and stuff.
My default when largemouth bass fishing is to always start with a natural color. In this case, a light/pea green spotted pattern with a green or white underside would be a good choice. If you are fishing early or late in the day, you might consider black as well.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

The key to topwater tackle is having a fairly stiff rod
I would agree except for one instance. I like to have a little flimsier of a rod when throwing buzzbaits to let the bass get more time to get its mouth around the bait. This helps because the instinct to instantly set the hook after a bass nails the buzzbait can lead to many missed fish. Other than that I totally agree.
Definately a good point. Any topwater you are retrieving moderately fast or fast you can certainly benefit from a lighter action rod. Great point.

When using the stiff rods, I like a fast action tip, you get a decent amount of snap action on a bait with a minimal amount of movement.

Josh made a great point too about using buzzbaits for bass on beds. They are a great exploratory/prospecting bait starting about this time of year (depending on where you are.... but its either here or coming in the next few weeks).
Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I mostly fish smallmouths up here when bass fishing and a flyrod works great as well with a few poppers. Also a hair tied mouse or frog will work wonders when fishing around a few lilly pads. Just let them skipp along the outside edges of the lilly pads and enjoy the action..