Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Crappies, Crappies and a big boy >

Crappies, Crappies and a big boy

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Crappies, Crappies and a big boy

Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Crappies, Crappies and a big boy

Tonight my girlfriend and I spent a few hours out on my hot spot fishing. Got on the water at 7:00 pm and it was pretty windy so I decided to do a little trolling for crappie. Within the first 30 minutes we had caught 50 crappie. (I decided to stop at 50 and start bass fishing or we probably could of caught over 100) I started out throwing a 10 inch culprit red shad colored worm. (The damn bluegill in this pond won't leave alone a smaller worm) and caught a few smaller bass 1-2lb while my girlfriend was getting skunked with her 7.5 inch culprit tomato worm. (probably my favorite color ever created) She get tired of it so she switched to a bait named later. At about 9 she started to get hit after hit but because of said lure she was unable to land one. (she has about a year of fishing experience though in that year she has caught a bigger bass than I have ever caught) During this time I caught a couple 3lbers on a buzzbait and I decided to switch to the bait she was using to try and help her learn how to hook the bass. About 10 casts in to fishing the new lure I got a bone rattling strike and set the hook into a very nice Indiana hog shown below. Here is the question...

What lure do you think I caught it on?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crappies, Crappies and a big boy

Whoa..great northern fish!..and ut oh..Is that Goherd sliding down into 2nd place..
Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Whoa..great northern fish!..and ut oh..Is that Goherd sliding down into 2nd place..
Yes looks like thats me sliding down to the first loser spot. Great fish Indiana!!! My guess is a topwater frog. Am I close? Zoom horny toad... Maybe??
Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Real nice fish- congrats ( wheres all those crappies?)
Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 AM

I figured the first person to guess would get it right. It was a natural colored spro frog. My pond is starting to get a decent amount of scum around the edges and the bass are just getting into frog eating zone.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been catching alot of fish myself on frogs lately. However, the biggest has only been about 3.5#. I bet that was awesome watching that big boy bust top water. Its always fun to catch fish on topwater baits, but when you get one like that to hit topwater it's like nothing else. My adrenaline is flowing just talking about it.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM

It looked like someone had dropped a boulder in the water. It was pretty sweet. I was just working my frog little by little over a big mat of scum and right as I hopped into a 1 foot opening BOOM! Fortunately I had been telling my girlfriend for the last 30 minutes to give the bass time before she sets the hook so I had it in my head to do the same. Reeled up on him and set the hook and the fun started! Still wasn't as big as the one I lost on my clacker but I'm not complaining! I do wish he would eat a few more of the crappie in this pond... they need to be thinned out and right now they are skinny enough that I don't feel like cleaning a mess of them for little meat.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on a nice fish, How much did he weigh?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 PM

I remembered to put that in the fishing tournament post but not in this one.. whoops! She weighed 6lbs 5ozs