Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

snagging

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Default snagging

does anyone here snag. i love to snag paddlefish they eat good to. my biggest is 82" and i have caught several 50s and 60s does anyone else like snagging and is getting excited for it to open up. here in missouri it opens up on march 15th
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: snagging

Most locations consider snagging to be an illegalmethod of taking fish. It would be hard for me personally to get excited about it since it is something I try to avaid when steal head fishing. On the rare ocasion when I foul hook a fish I quickly release it or cut the line.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont like it. there is not point of hurting the animals vital organs if you arent gunna eat it. just my opinion
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Snagging paddlefish is about the only way you catch them. I occasionally go out and snag grass carp. (I usually try and flyfish for them when the mullberries are dropping) and that can be a blast. As far as hitting vital organs with grass carp it is sight fishing and you only get flesh 99.9% of the time. I once read an article in field and stream about snagging paddlefish and it looked like an absolute blast. Don't think I would ever eat one though.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is a paddlefish?

Anyhow, snagging is illegal in Michigan for any species of fish. And in the trout/steelhead/salmon waters you can get tickted for having to large of a hook. (generally used to snagging)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

snaggin illegal in MB canada
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir...I don't anymore
BUT use to snatch catch shad in Washington D.C. I ate what I caught.
I've also snatched tilapia. After snatching a few bass by accident..a couple.I quit snatch fishing. I found a lure that tilapia will hit..They are pretty much vegetarians but I found they will hit a tinyPanther-Martin
trolling slowly.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

paddle fish is a fish that it eats by filtering stuff out of the water. the only way to catch them is to snag them. they get real big too. yea here in missouri and i think in oklahoma you can only snag and legally keep nongame fish. anything else that gets snagged like bass or catfish has to be put backunharmed.

thats a paddlefish it is the missouri state record and weighed almost 140lbs. now you know what one looks like. there is only a month and half long season on them here in missouri.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Also called a spoonbilled catfish.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 PM

i aint ever heard it called a spoonbill catfish but i have heard it called a spoonbill and a paddlefish and a spooner

Quick Reply: snagging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.