Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 DNR's response to the dead bass question >

DNR's response to the dead bass question

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

DNR's response to the dead bass question

Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 AM

Default DNR's response to the dead bass question

The first thing I want to comment on was how very helpful DNR was to my inquiry. I was not sure that I even expected a return phone call...what I got was not only a return call but an education.
I spoke with two people at DNR who had differing opinions on the problem.
Bob Anderson the DNR fish Biologist thanked me for my call and felt that we may have been the first reporters of a problem. He felt that it may be a bit too early in the year for LMBV to be an issue, but the water temps at Potato Creek were high enough to make it a possibility. He said he would begin an inquiry of sorts to begin gathering data from around the area and would keep an eye on the situation. He felt that, while Bass do die at tournaments,5 in one small tournament was a bit odd. That coupled with the dead fish we saw in the water made him think it would not hurt to keep an eye on things. We aslo spent a good amount of time discussing invasive species which was interesting as hell.
The Fisheries management team, who responded to my email, had a different opinion. They felt that a combination of stress of capture, spawning exhaustion, and high water temps all probably played a factor. They did not discount the virus possiblity, just did not feel that our situation had indicators for LMBV. They suggested immediately releasing the fish...which I am not sure how that would work in a tournament.
so I really still do not have an answer I suppose...

THE THERMOMETER IDEA...posted by someone in responce to my other post...for the live well...IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!! gonna pick one up today...if fact I think I have a digital read out for the dash in my shop somewhere...the boat manufactuers show make that standard equipment!

What I did learn...
both the fisheries management team and the biology department suggested, for a HOST of reasons, that anyone who fishes and travels from lake to lake, should wash their boat between trips as well as completely flush thier live well and bilge system. One of the biggest threats facing our lakes and rivers is invasive plant and fish species. The list of invasive species believed to be transferred from lake to lake by boats was rather impressive.(though not being a biologist or ecologist, the names of the species were like they were speaking greek) The DNR suggested rinsing your boat with a 10% solution of bleach...WHILE I WILL NOT BE PUTTING BLEACH IN MY LIVE WELL...it seems a simple a responsible thing to do and a practice I intend to follow in the future.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DNR's response to the dead bass question

It is impossible to keep invasive species out of out lakes, take the zebra muscle for example, they can live for 2 weeks out of water, and there is no way you can clean every inch of your boat and trailer. They needed to start doing something a long time ago.

What I want to know is why every invasive species in the water needs to be exterminated and every ivasive bird species is PROTECTED???????????????

Here in Michigan we have invasive birds we should not have egret, cormorants. When Carpmaster and I were fishing in Iowa we saw a pair of Pelicans. Pelicans. Cormorants and Pelicans should not be this far north. They are going to ruin our fish population, and the govt. protects these invasive birds.

Can someone expalain this to me?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 PM

so since the problem seem insurmountable...lets do nothing at all?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The DNR suggested rinsing your boat with a 10% solution of bleach...WHILE I WILL NOT BE PUTTING BLEACH IN MY LIVE WELL...it seems a simple a responsible thing to do and a practice I intend to follow in the future.

Theres a cleaner solution for aqauriums most all pet stores carry it, you could use that to clean out your live well.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

The DNR suggested rinsing your boat with a 10% solution of bleach...WHILE I WILL NOT BE PUTTING BLEACH IN MY LIVE WELL...it seems a simple a responsible thing to do and a practice I intend to follow in the future.

Theres a cleaner solution for aqauriums most all pet stores carry it, you could use that to clean out your live well.
Or you could just go ahead and use the bleach solution and leave the livewell open overnight so that any residual chlorine can evaporate . This is actually a good thing to do since it sanitizes the livewell and plumbing which kills bacteria that could kill fish later .
Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Some other livewell tips for you. There are products sold to mix in the water that protect the slime layer on the fish and help to keep them healthy in the livewell. Rejuvante seems to be the most popular with the tournament fisherman and most all of them use these products and they do cut down on fish mortality. The temp. of the water is a big issue. If you take several 16oz plastic coke bottles and fill them with water, freeze them, then take them along in your cooler you can throw a couple in the livewell and keep the water cool. Change them out as you need to. You can also mix up the Rejuvanate and freeze this in the bottles, then take the cap off and let them melt and keep the water treated at the same time.