HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DNR's response to the dead bass question
Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
robdar

Default DNR's response to the dead bass question

The first thing I want to comment on was how very helpful DNR was to my inquiry. I was not sure that I even expected a return phone call...what I got was not only a return call but an education.
I spoke with two people at DNR who had differing opinions on the problem.
Bob Anderson the DNR fish Biologist thanked me for my call and felt that we may have been the first reporters of a problem. He felt that it may be a bit too early in the year for LMBV to be an issue, but the water temps at Potato Creek were high enough to make it a possibility. He said he would begin an inquiry of sorts to begin gathering data from around the area and would keep an eye on the situation. He felt that, while Bass do die at tournaments,5 in one small tournament was a bit odd. That coupled with the dead fish we saw in the water made him think it would not hurt to keep an eye on things. We aslo spent a good amount of time discussing invasive species which was interesting as hell.
The Fisheries management team, who responded to my email, had a different opinion. They felt that a combination of stress of capture, spawning exhaustion, and high water temps all probably played a factor. They did not discount the virus possiblity, just did not feel that our situation had indicators for LMBV. They suggested immediately releasing the fish...which I am not sure how that would work in a tournament.
so I really still do not have an answer I suppose...

THE THERMOMETER IDEA...posted by someone in responce to my other post...for the live well...IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!! gonna pick one up today...if fact I think I have a digital read out for the dash in my shop somewhere...the boat manufactuers show make that standard equipment!

What I did learn...
both the fisheries management team and the biology department suggested, for a HOST of reasons, that anyone who fishes and travels from lake to lake, should wash their boat between trips as well as completely flush thier live well and bilge system. One of the biggest threats facing our lakes and rivers is invasive plant and fish species. The list of invasive species believed to be transferred from lake to lake by boats was rather impressive.(though not being a biologist or ecologist, the names of the species were like they were speaking greek) The DNR suggested rinsing your boat with a 10% solution of bleach...WHILE I WILL NOT BE PUTTING BLEACH IN MY LIVE WELL...it seems a simple a responsible thing to do and a practice I intend to follow in the future.