Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Your thoughts please

Old 01-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Your thoughts please

I agree with RedAllison on the 257 Weatherby. In fact, considering your budget I would suggest picking up a matching pair of Weatherby's. Get one in 257 and the other in 340 or if you want a serious big bore then get a 460 Weatherby and a good recoil shoulder pad.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

i have a 338win. mag i'd sure like to try out the ultra.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:18 AM

I guess I'll put my 2 cents worth in on the 25-06 round. I started my hunting years ago in Georgia with only my grandpa's old 257 Roberts right handed bolt action (I'm a Southpaw) and I dropped many a deer with this round. Being left handed, I have become partial to companies that will go out of their way to accommodate us and I like the Ruger company. Later in my life, I came across a great deal on a left handed Ruger in 25-06 from some poor soul going through a nasty divorce who was trying to pay off his "EX" so he could keep his log cabin in the woods. I have shot everything from varmits to a black bear with it and have no complaints on the caliber or the range of it. I'm not a big bore fan as I do not like the punishment that comes with them but I do own a Ruger #1 in 45/70 that I inherited from my grandfather who by the way was 278 pounds buck naked. He loved the big bores and I think he left me the Ruger as a joke although other family members aren't laughing about it. So I have to agree with mossy33oak on his recommending the Ruger #1 as they are excellent rifles as is the Ruger line in general.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: popeye

or if you want a serious big bore then get a 460 Weatherby and a good recoil shoulder pad.
Please be aware of one thing..... a 460 weatherby has 58 lbs of felt recoil, compared to 18 from a 30-06 and 24 from a 7mm rem mag. Not exactly my first choice when considering a gun. Not saying you are wrong popeye, but not all of us eat our spinach, and like that kinda kick
Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Mossy33oak,

I'm not a big fan of recoil either but the original post asked for a big bore suggestion. It just doesn't get much bigger than a 460Wby
Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: popeye

Mossy33oak,

I'm not a big fan of recoil either but the original post asked for a big bore suggestion. It just doesn't get much bigger than a 460Wby
no arguement there popeye, i just felt it was my "duty" to inform him of the recoil. I can see it now, he goes out and buys a 25-06 and a 460 wby, goes to the range shoots the 25 and thinks "man that was nice" then he loads up the 460 and after 1 shot (and several stitches) picks the weatherby off the ground and says "what the he// did I buy that for"
Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Wow...thanks for all the suggestions guys!!! I think I'm a going to stay in the 340 Weatherby or less category. That's plenty of kick for me and it'll do anything I want to go after. Not planning any African Safaris quite yet. Still looking for anyone with 338 ultra experience.

Another question.....Did Remington stop producing the grey laminate guns? Thanks again. -Griller
Old 01-22-2005, 01:11 PM

I have to agree w/ the guys who recommended the Ruger#1. Dakota arms builds a copy of the #1, its the dakota #10 ,and what a copy it is!! The browning high/low walls are beauties to. With the ruger or brownings you'll have to shop around to get one w/ premium wood, w/ the dakota they're all premium. I dont have experience w/ the 338 Ultra, but I am considering it also. If its all its cracked up to be, what a gun!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:00 PM

I have a 257 Roberts in a Ruger77 and love it. It is considered "obsolete" to the 25-06 and such but I have never had anything but good luck with it.