Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

remington 710

Old 09-28-2004, 06:22 PM

Default RE: remington 710

ORIGINAL: rem7400 2

It seems that I remember reading that the bolt on the 710 rides on a teflon sleeve. Can anyone verify that?

The bolt rides on a fibre-glass-composite slide, that is also made with Telfon. But it's not as smooth as you would think.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM

The bolt rides on a fibre-glass-composite slide, that is also made with Telfon. But it's not as smooth as you would think.
On the one that I bought to use as trade goods, the bolt felt very slick! I am surprised by the lines that divide those who hate the 710 and those, who have bought the piece and like same. Like religion, the issue will not be settled and no one will likely change their minds on the subject. Still, along with Savage, the 710 may be the least expensive, accurate high powered rifle on the market today.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I rahter have one fine gun that two cheap ones....
Old 09-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Don't buy the 710, it's a POS that looks like a toy. I got a Winchester M70 for the same price. much better rifle. I then bought a savage for the SAME price, much better rifle.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:05 PM

I rahter have one fine gun that two cheap ones....
Well....yeah, I agree, but the original poster was not talking about building a battery of 710 rifles, just ONE!
The same arguement has gone on forever. Back in the 1960s, when Winchester sold out and began turning out real junk. Most riflemen swore off Winchester. Later, Winchester built some quality back into their rifles, but the funny thing is, you can still find those "cheap" ones, getting the job done every year, bringing home the game. Regardless of the quality of the stock or plastic trigger guard, if the rifle functions, then the most important nut in the piece is the nut behind the butt!!
One man's meat is another man's poison. To each his own......The early bird gets the worm...........(No, that last one does not fit!!)
Old 10-19-2004, 01:05 AM

The 710 remington line has alot of problems. I know i used to make these guns. Contact your local Remington repair shop and ask how many of these guns are returned. I never bought one of these or the 597 model. Stick with Savage or Ruger ! For the quality differance youll be glad you did.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:08 PM

Sure the 710 may shoot all right but i cant bear the look at the think it is, quoting an earlier post "uglier than sin"
I have a savage which was the same price which i use for coyotes much better rifle.
The thing that bothers me is that my favorite manufacture is making these rifles.
So if your the weekend warrior and want a peice of crap to beet the hell out of once every couple of years go for it but if you are planing on making hunting a once a year deal spend a couple extra bucks and buy a savage or an ADL much better guns.
P.S. When i heard the the bolt locks into the barrel on those things i just cringed.
CHEERS
Old 10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I'm a newbie to the board and to the gun world (<3 years at age 40), but I must say in the short time I've been around I've found it quite amusing. Five pages of posts, almost exlusively opinions. Couple of people have said the 710 had acceptable accuracy, but nobody has said the thing had problems other than "looking ugly" or "cheap". Man, you guys are hard on a gun.

Oh, and yes, I bought my first rifle 2 months ago - a 710. Didn't like the stock on the comparable Savage. I also own 2 870 Express shotguns w/synthetic stocks, a 597, and an 870 Youth model. I've seen the 870 Express ripped left and right for being "cheap" and of "poor quality", but none of them have had a problem since we bought them. I don't expect any problems from my 710 either. There may be gold-plated screwdrivers in the world, but they won't get the job done any better than the one from Wal-Mart.

P.S. How does one become a "serious" hunter? I keep seeing this in just about every post related to inexpensive - cheap to some of you - rifles.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate the extra effort, by design and attention to detail, that goes into any product I buy the same as I appreciate, for instance, a waiter at a restaurant who gives you service above and beyond the level you would generally expect to get. It just makes your experience more enjoyable and I generally don't mind paying more for it, though there is a limit of course. It doesn't appear that Remington put much effort into the 710. It is what it is, a cheap rifle made cheaply. It'll get the job done, but it doesn't suit my taste. Then again, neither does the 700.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

P.S. How does one become a "serious" hunter? I keep seeing this in just about every post related to inexpensive - cheap to some of you - rifles.
I wonder how you become a "professional hunter" myself. I think a lot of guys here are either serious hunters or shooters or both. People willing to invest time and money at something they love to do and that is what separates them from the one box a year shooter.

Quick Reply: remington 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.