Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

remington 710

Old 09-15-2004, 10:35 AM

Default RE: remington 710

Wouldn't you know it though, bears or moose calves don't seem to jump out in front of me while I am doing surveys anymore.
Maybe they've learned that the scent of Hoppe's #9 means trouble!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Hoppe's #9 has the same effect on hunters thats Tink's 69 has on bucks...
Old 09-26-2004, 08:57 AM

I believe that it was Jack O'Connor who said, "Beware the man who only owns on rifle. He can probably shoot it!"
A newby big game hunter who buys a Rem Model 710 and learns how to use the rifle, may soon shoot rings around some of us who own a large battery of rifles and are constantly switching off, taking various rifles to the range or to the field. The same complaints that I hear lodged against the Rem.710, used to be thrown at rifles like the Savage Model 340 and other inexpensive, unattractive rifles. Funny thing is, many of the hunters who learned how to use those models and never used anything else, got to be very good rifleman, along with developing their fieldcraft. Equipment does not always need to be what everyone else is recommending as "the best", in order to be effective.
Even though some on this board may have access to the Net, they may be on a very tight budget. I would rather see them in the field, learning their fieldcraft, while carrying a Model 710, then waiting and saving until they can buy a more expensive model. I have no doubt that with the usual care, the 710 can be a very effective game getter.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm always skitterish with anything made the first year. At the same time, that is what warranties are for. We'll hope it holds up. Entry level rifles bring some into the sport that otherwise might stay out. Perhaps that rifle & scope package will work. In the long run, it could be a good thing to keep shooting and hunting in America.

Bet it does better than the WSSM cartridges.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:53 PM

"Bet it does better than the WSSM cartridges." quoted, concerning the chances of survival of the Rem. Model 710.

That remains to be seen. Any number of inexpensive models of firearms have had long runs in the past. Perhaps with a few minor alterations, the Model 710 Remington will prove to be a winner, in terms of time offered in the marketplace.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:20 PM

It seems that I remember reading that the bolt on the 710 rides on a teflon sleeve. Can anyone verify that?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather see them in the field, learning their fieldcraft, while carrying a Model 710, then waiting and saving until they can buy a more expensive model.
It makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a POS 710 when for a few dollars more you can get a Savage 110 package that we all know will shoot without the bolt pulling out in your hand.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

I would rather see them in the field, learning their fieldcraft, while carrying a Model 710, then waiting and saving until they can buy a more expensive model.
It makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a POS 710 when for a few dollars more you can get a Savage 110 package that we all know will shoot without the bolt pulling out in your hand.
I agree because you can get such a better gun with the same price or a slightly higher price. I hate the 710 and i cant stand holding it.[:-][&:]
Old 09-28-2004, 07:35 AM

Time will tell, guys! Hard for me to believe that Remington would risk their hard fought rep on a rifle which will not work. Maybe there will be recalls, that is not unheard of. Maybe there will be alterations hung onto the M710. The only thing that I have seen done, so far, is introducing the M710 with a camo stock. Well.....gosh, that makes it better. Right?...... Seriously, if forced to bet, my money goes on the belief that the Rem. M710, will be a winner for Remington, in terms of numbers sold! As gunsports people, we can look for the silver lining and expect to see many who buy the 710 trade up to better, prettier rifles later on. I would rather see a newby in the field carrying a 710, then to see no newbies at all. Newbies are our future. Very few of them come to the wonderful hobby of gunsports with a lot of mentoring. Many novices enter into hunting knowing nothing and only possessing the desire to get into the field and hunt. (Who do you think buys all of the worthless hunting gadgets sold?) So, if the inexpensive 710 gets more newbies out there, what is the problem? Those that stick it out will learn and upgrade AND will not have lost much in the learning jprocess. WalMarts price, last week on a 710 with boresighted Bushness 3-9 scope, was $349! I can't buy a decent mounted print of a rifle for that price!!
Old 09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

M710, will be a winner for Remington, in terms of numbers sold!
Tons of Ford Pintos got sold too. Have you been by the guncounter at Academy lately? The guys there push the 710 so hard it isn't even funny. The people buying them have little to no knowledge of guns and actually think the guys behind the counter might know what they are talking about. How you think your newbie is going to feel about the shooting sports when his prized 710 falls apart in his hands?

BTW, Remington's quality control is probably worse than any other manufacturer right now. Even the 700's are suffering, much less the POS 710's and 597's.

Quick Reply: remington 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.