Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

accuracy of my AR-15

Old 01-04-2004, 10:55 AM

Default accuracy of my AR-15

I have finally had the chance to get out and shoot my AR at 100 yards. I am thrilled! I bought the Bushmaster with 20" varmint barrel, free floated, flat-top version(no sights).

With a 4-12 scope and Winchester factory ammo, I shot a 5 shot group that measured 7/8 of one inch. I am totally psyched about this. So many people have told me that you can't get good accuracy out of a semi-auto, especially the AR variants. After researching for a couple of months on the web, I found that a lot of people using the heavy barreled versions were getting sub MOA with handloads.

I bought the Bushmaster mainly because it is made here in Maine. The tech support at Bushmaster told me not to expect the best accuracy until after I have "polished the bore" with about 20 rounds. The reason is because the chamber and bore are chrome lined and it takes about 200 rounds to get it polished. When it got to me new, the chrome in the barrel looked like gray primer. I now have around 50 rounds through it and the bore looks like brushed stainless. They say that after the 200 rounds, it should look like a mirror.

If it actually gets more accurate from here, it will be awesome. I'm hoping that I can shrink the groups through hand loading even more.

I would highly recommend a Bushmaster!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: accuracy of my AR-15

Very respectable numbers indeed!!

What is your trigger like? Is it crisp in your opinion? How does it compare with any of your other rifles? Do you have any idea what it is pulling (in terms of lbs.)?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:30 AM

Antler easter,

I don't know whait is pulling in pounds. Unfortunately I don't own a trigger scale. I wish I could tell you. I do like the trigger, a little. It is very crisp but pulls (I'm guessing here) about 4-7 pounds. I could be way off here. It moves about 3/16" then you can feel a little more resistance. Now that I'm getting used to it, I just take up that 3/16" slack, then concentrate, then finish the squeeze. After the initial take-up, it is very crisp.

I just read somewhere that every AR with a standard trigger should "at least get the 15 minutejob done to it." I wish I knew what that 15 minute job was! Do you have any Idea?

You asked if it compared with any of my other rifles. I would say that it is similar to either of my two Savage rifles. (model110 and model 11) Neither of them have the Accu trigger. I guess my next investment will be a jewel trigger. I have a Timney trigger in my 300 WM, but it doesn't impress me too much. it's good, but not great.

Mainehunt
Old 01-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mainehunt,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I don't have any idea what that "15 minute" job would be. Apparently it doesn't take long for someone that is competent with triggers to touch one up.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:09 AM

I wonder how much difference the moly grease would make. I have heard mixed reviews.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

The 15 minute job you have probably heard about is simply changing out your action springs to lighter poundage. Typically they are painted yellow for identification purposes and available through Brownell's.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:55 AM

Thanks mlaubner,

I'll look in my Brownell's catalog now.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to the fully explained trigger job.
[link]http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm[/link]