Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Revolver & cal.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Revolver & cal.

I would get RSRH in a .44 mag that combo has served me well!!!! Here is mine with its luppy scope 4X eer

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would sure like to see all your data where you CLAIM s&w "outshoots" ruger!!!!!
I've had a lot of experience with ALL brands and you can get examples to prove anything you want until you examine ALL gathered data. I've been in the business for bout 27 years and I STILL cannot tell with certainty which brand will CONSISTANCY "outshoot" the other. If you like s&w,ruger,taurus,colt,or whatever,that's fine,just please don't attempt to mislead somebody due to your preferences-that's dangerously close to lying-especially if you lack PLENTY of experience with both. Whatever somebody likes,great.

[quote]ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I would reconsider the choice of the Taurus. I would go with a S&W if I were you. The S&W simply outshoots them all(out of the box)-including ruger.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I believe there are enough of us .41 mag fans out there that it'll be a long time before they can offically declare it dead. Ruger reintroduced the .41 mag in it's blackhawk and hunter line and ruger usually has it's thumb pretty close on market demand. Same as .280,and .220 swift among a few others I can think of.
Yeah, I use a 41 mag in a Ruger Redhawk and it seems that in the fourteen years that I have had it, there is more of a selection in factory loadings now than then. Also, it seems like there are more revolvers being chambered for it. The 41 Mag is far from dead.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I would sure like to see all your data where you CLAIM s&w "outshoots" ruger!!!!!
I've had a lot of experience with ALL brands and you can get examples to prove anything you want until you examine ALL gathered data. I've been in the business for bout 27 years and I STILL cannot tell with certainty which brand will CONSISTANCY "outshoot" the other. If you like s&w,ruger,taurus,colt,or whatever,that's fine,just please don't attempt to mislead somebody due to your preferences-that's dangerously close to lying-especially if you lack PLENTY of experience with both. Whatever somebody likes,great.

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I would reconsider the choice of the Taurus. I would go with a S&W if I were you. The S&W simply outshoots them all(out of the box)-including ruger.
I will stick by my claim that a S&W will on average outshoot the Taurus and the Ruger's.

What part of KY are you at. I worked at a large indoor pistolrange in Bowling Green for 5 years during the 90's. I have been in the firearms industry a good bit of my life(about 25 years). I have shot hundred's if not thousands of pistol's. And by far-overall the S&W IS more accurate. They definitely have a better trigger. I would give Ruger the slight edge on durability, but definitely not accuracy. I can not even remember how many Blackhawk's that I was thoroughly disappointed with. Just my opinion-but it is not without experience. Tom.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I couldn't decide so I bought both.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thank's for all the input guy's ; I think I'm going to go with a new mod. super blackhawk in 44 mag. with 7.5 in bbl. A friend has it & don't us it anymore Soooooo. I'm takeing it off of his hands. All I need now is working up a good load for it.
AGAIN; THANKS TO ALL INFO!! GB 50
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 8 3/8" S&W 44 mag. 629 classic that shoots 200-240 grain HP's very accurately. I like the extra length and weight for deer hunting and I don't find it a bother in a hip holster. I had some 6" barreled models for a while but the longer tube just balanced so well it's the one I kept.

I had some 41 mags. as well; I traded off the 657 S&W in 6". This is one I should have kept. I was extremely accurate and well balanced. I really would like to buy another.

I also have a Colt Python in 6" and I love this revolver. I have taken several deer with it with bang/flop results every time. I used 180 grain Federal HP's. In a hip holster I don't even notice I'm wearing it. I also have an 8 3/8" 686. This one does not balance anywhere near as well as the 44 does. It's accurate and smooth but I would not recommend it. I think I will trade it off for a 6" model 657 or a blue one if I can find one. I owned the Blackhawk in 41 6" for a while but it was no where near the gun the 657 was. Can't go wrong with the .41 in a revolver really; even if ammo is a bit more expensive and hard to locate it's a nice all round caliber.