Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

fixed power scope

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default fixed power scope

I've been thinking about going to fixed power scopes on my hunting rifles. The logic is that out to300 hundreds yards on deer size targets, I don't need a ton of magnification. In a fixed power scope I can get better glass for the same money. Better glass translates to a better picture and more important, better light transmission for those just before dark opportunities. I've been looking at the IOR-Valdada 6x42and the MEOSTAR Meopta 7x56.
Any of you folks have much experience with these scopes or can you suggest another option.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fixed power scope

I think that is good, sound logic. A 4X or 6x should be the ticket. I've heard very positive statements regarding the IOR but have not seen one for myself. I have seen the Meopta, and it too was good. Built like a tank! I really like the 4a reticle on the 6X IOR though. I believe that would be a winner. Sightron has some pretty decent glass for less $... as another option. Their 6X is also decent. Fixed power scopes are likely more durable with fewer moving parts... that's certainly a benefit. Check the optics forum at SWFA for a ton of advice from many knowledgable folks. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bad. I forgot to include on of my all time favorites and that is Kahles. They have a great 6X. Sorry for the omission. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Nikon Monarch 3x9 but I never move it from 6x.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

The very best fixed 6X scope for the money is the Leupold FXIII, 6X42. This is a fantastic low light scope. Have two of them on my rifles. The Leupold is just as good as the 6X42MC Ziess that cost me nearly twice as much.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In fixed power scopes,the 4x is likely most versaitle power without being too much for close,fast shots presented. A quality fixed power scope is WAYYYYYYYY better than a cheap variable scope!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Stalking Bear...

I agree, and I disagree.

My favoritest deer rifle wears a fixed power scope, it also happens to be my favorite varmit rifle....both ground hogs and 'yotes. So, I agree that a fixed power is way better.

A fixed 6 tho', with both eyes open, is one wicked quick killin' tool..................
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you are used to your setup and can shoot it well as it sounds like-more power to ya! I'm just saying that I agree with the late famous guru jack oconner-if the deer (or whatever) is too far away to be able to see and shoot with a fixed 4x scope-it's too far away to think about shooting in the first place. I readily admit that with today's equipment,that statement is largely in question.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM

I can drink to that.........
Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the IOR is your best bet. I am in the process of ordering a fixed power(16X) IOR myself for a new varmint rig. The Meopta would be my second choice. It sounds like you did your homework. I also have a fixed 6X Zeiss that is over 20 years old. The scope is impecable(spelling). It is on my Remington 30-06 pump carbine. The rifle wore a Leupold 6X for a while-I am glad I made that upgrade. The Leupold is a good scope-but not in the same class as the Zeiss or IOR.

You probably will notuse the tracking system, but if you were to,the IOR is as good as the Nightforce(IMO).

The Kahles would also make a great choice. However IMO the fixed IOR is absolutely the best scope money can buy. Unless Schmidt and Bender makes one-but it would still be a toss up. Does Swarovski make a 6X in their A-Line. I have a 3-10 A-Line scope that I like real well, but I would trade it for an IOR in a minute. But Iwould not trade it for a Meopta.

I have read a lot about the Illuminated Reticle on the IOR-A lot of shooter's say you do not need it. They say the glass is so good that when the light is gone-it is gone. The IR does not help. I do not know that first hand, but I have read it in several different places. Tom.

Quick Reply: fixed power scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.