HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolver & cal.
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Mossie
Fork Horn

Default RE: Revolver & cal.

I have a 8 3/8" S&W 44 mag. 629 classic that shoots 200-240 grain HP's very accurately. I like the extra length and weight for deer hunting and I don't find it a bother in a hip holster. I had some 6" barreled models for a while but the longer tube just balanced so well it's the one I kept.

I had some 41 mags. as well; I traded off the 657 S&W in 6". This is one I should have kept. I was extremely accurate and well balanced. I really would like to buy another.

I also have a Colt Python in 6" and I love this revolver. I have taken several deer with it with bang/flop results every time. I used 180 grain Federal HP's. In a hip holster I don't even notice I'm wearing it. I also have an 8 3/8" 686. This one does not balance anywhere near as well as the 44 does. It's accurate and smooth but I would not recommend it. I think I will trade it off for a 6" model 657 or a blue one if I can find one. I owned the Blackhawk in 41 6" for a while but it was no where near the gun the 657 was. Can't go wrong with the .41 in a revolver really; even if ammo is a bit more expensive and hard to locate it's a nice all round caliber.