Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Newbie: Remington 870 express? >

Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie: Remington 870 express?

I shoot with both hands and I have never been bothered by the shells coming out across my face. Like it has been pointed out there are way more accessories for the right handed model.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: e4c4ever
Do you shoot multiple shots or single shots? Do the shells fly close to your face?
Sure, I've taken multiple shots. I've emptied all 3 rounds trying in vane to get a$*%^# skeet clay that flew at an odd angle. All 3 rapid fire pumps didn't send a shell zinging by my face.

I was taught by my dad to just tuck my right elbow down a little bit, and then any ejecting shell will go right up over my arm and I won't have anything to worry about. That little bit of thought back when I was 14 still rings true to this day!

Butch A.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest staying away from the 3 1/2". I had a few pheasant hunters at my place shooting them this year, and when shooting 2 3/4" shells they short shucked their guns all the time, they will eject the shorter shell, but the action isn't opened all the way so they closed the action on an empty barrel.

I've had a few BPS Stalkers in 3.5", I never bought them, I won them. They would also short shuck shells, and finally I got tired of it and sold all of them.

If you can afford a BPS, it might be a better an safer route, as you won't have a backwards safety and the shells are being ejected out of the bottom.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I'd suggest staying away from the 3 1/2". I had a few pheasant hunters at my place shooting them this year, and when shooting 2 3/4" shells they short shucked their guns all the time, they will eject the shorter shell, but the action isn't opened all the way so they closed the action on an empty barrel.

I've had a few BPS Stalkers in 3.5", I never bought them, I won them. They would also short shuck shells, and finally I got tired of it and sold all of them.

If you can afford a BPS, it might be a better an safer route, as you won't have a backwards safety and the shells are being ejected out of the bottom.
There are people that say the same thing. That is why I was thinking of the 3". Anyway,the 3" can take down goose, so i'm not too worried about getting the 3.5".

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 3" kills geese very well, if you use the proper load. Shoot something like Kent Faststeel, and the geese will be raining down. I'm a very big waterfowl hunter and I actually shoot 2 3/4" on honkers alot of the time when we are decoying.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks Rammer! And thank you all for the help!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a lefty but use right handed pump shotguns, no problems. Re-sale is much better for right, if that is a concern.

3 1/2" 12 gauge shells didn't compare to my 3 1/2 10 gauge in terms of range. The main reason I bought a 3 1/2" pump was I thought more pellets in the sky would helpwith wary geese and reducing the cripples. However with Kent Faststeel, etc not sure it is really required, especially over coys. I haven't hunted birds as much as I once didbut when I do3" Kentfor waterfowl & 2 3/4 for uplandis all I require. You may want to try posing this question in the waterfowl forum though to see what the thoughts are for 3 vs 3 1/2".