Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Newbie: Remington 870 express? >

Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Hello,

i'm new to this site. Pretty cool!

Anyway, I really want to get the Remington870 express. But I don't know wheather to get the standard or super magnum. Is the super magnum better?

Also, i'm lefthanded. I was told bya sales guy at Rick's Sporting goodsthat I really don't need a LH since it's pump.

Any 870owners wanna help? I'll be hunting waterfowl, upland game, rabbit and deer(I'll get the slug barrel).

Thank you.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Get the 870 express supermag combo. This comes with slug barrel and bird barrel. The supermag has a 3 and half inch chamber, which is nice if you are going to waterfowl, as you can use 3 and half inch shells to reach farther out. You would then use 3" slugs (2 and 3/4" if you prefer). I say the supermag is worth the little more than the standard 3" chamber.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will LOVE the 870 Express. I own one and so do countless others. It is by far the best, go anywhere do anything, drop it in the mud pick it up and keep hunting, type of shotgun!!!

I too am a lefty and trust me.... You DON'T need a lefty pumpgun! True, they make lefty 870's, but they hardly make any aftermarket stuff for them. That's what I found out. I mean, there's like 947,385 types of accessories for an 870. But a lefty 870? You will pay dearly for a lefty model rifled deer/slug barrel for it. You will pay dearly for any (lefty) accessory for that matter.... [:'(]

The Express Magnum is fine and can shoot 3" and 2 3/4" without a problem at all. The Super Magnum will shoot the 3 1/2", 3", and 2 3/4" but I have heard people say at it doesn't like the 2 3/4" shells too much and can jam occasionally. You need to ask yourself - does your shoulder really need to feel a 3 1/2" magnum shell going off? The regular Express Magnum is fine and will do anything you ask of it - and then some!

Butch A.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ButchA

You will LOVE the 870 Express. I own one and so do countless others. It is by far the best, go anywhere do anything, drop it in the mud pick it up and keep hunting, type of shotgun!!!

I too am a lefty and trust me.... You DON'T need a lefty pumpgun! True, they make lefty 870's, but they hardly make any aftermarket stuff for them. That's what I found out. I mean, there's like 947,385 types of accessories for an 870. But a lefty 870? You will pay dearly for a lefty model rifled deer/slug barrel for it. You will pay dearly for any (lefty) accessory for that matter.... [:'(]

The Express Magnum is fine and can shoot 3" and 2 3/4" without a problem at all. The Super Magnum will shoot the 3 1/2", 3", and 2 3/4" but I have heard people say at it doesn't like the 2 3/4" shells too much and can jam occasionally. You need to ask yourself - does your shoulder really need to feel a 3 1/2" magnum shell going off? The regular Express Magnum is fine and will do anything you ask of it - and then some!

Butch A.

I agree withmost everything you have said, but if he is going todo a lot of waterfowling, including geese, then he will benefit in the long run with theextra power and range that a 3 1/2" round can give. It is supopse to be 98% of a 10 gauge.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly reccomend that you get a left hand gun. This way,you will be able to operate action from shoulder without empty shotshell casings flying across your face.
Now,as to 3vs 3 1/2, there is not as much difference between the two as a lot of people believe. With a pump action chambered for 3 1/2,you will be able to use ANY shotshell length on market. You have to ask yourself just how much are you really going to need supermag shells. The 3 1/2 shells are known to have more recoil than 3" or 2 3/4 shells.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I would highly reccomend that you get a left hand gun. This way,you will be able to operate action from shoulder without empty shotshell casings flying across your face.
Now,as to 3vs 3 1/2, there is not as much difference between the two as a lot of people believe. With a pump action chambered for 3 1/2,you will be able to use ANY shotshell length on market. You have to ask yourself just how much are you really going to need supermag shells. The 3 1/2 shells are known to have more recoil than 3" or 2 3/4 shells.
This is where it gets difficult. Some people saythe LHis not important others disagree. I wish I could try out the gun before buying.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

I can't speak to the left handed issue but as far as the 3 1/2 versus 3. I havehad a Supermag for about 4 years and have found really no need for the 3 1/2 shells. the recoil is a lot more pronounced and I have not seen a greater efficiency even on waterfowl. As a result I very rarely shoot 3 1/2 shells. Just my opionion, either way you come out ahead. Very reliable shotguns! good Hunting
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won't be disapointed in the 870 Express. I think I've had mine for about 18 years. The only problem I had was the wood forearm got soaked in a driving rain and when it dried out it split. I ordered a Remington synthetic stock and forearm from Cabelas for around $85. A few years ago when I got my 1187 the super mags just came out, I was wanting to buy one of those but couldn't find or Remington didn't have the rifled cantileverdeer barrel out yet. So I got the 3 inch SPS in synthetic stock and forearm.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 AM

I dont understand how anyone thinks a 3.5" shell will reach farther out that a 3" shell.

If a 3.5" shells payloadleaves the barrel at 1560 fps and a 3" shells payloadleaves the barrel at 1560 fps. How does that make it anymore effective at a longer distance? Only thing it does is provide more pellets in a payload providing a denser pattern at any given range.. skybusters are skybusters no matter if they are shooting 2.75", 3" or 3.5".
Old 01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Supermag as my dedicated turkey gun. I scoped it and put a Gobblin Thunder choke tube in it. The 3 1/2s kill on both ends, no doubt about it. If I had it to do over again, I would get a regular 870 express, but the mag will work fine. I really like the gun, but most things that walk can be killed with a 2 3/4 inch shell.

Quick Reply: Newbie: Remington 870 express?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.