Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shotgun Slug Question

Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shotgun Slug Question

I have a Browning Deer Hunter auto rifled barrel shotgun. I recently bought a few boxes of Winchester Supreme Platinum Tip sabot slugs. What kind of performance can I expect from this setup?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Default RE: Shotgun Slug Question

^^^what he said X2

If they shoot well enough for you, zero her in and go about your business. If not, try different loads. My 870/hastings like federals. Alot of guys' like coppersolids, or lightfeilds...its just every gun for itself with stuff like this. ONE BIG TIP. Get that barrel C-L-E-A-N, and I mean clean. My groups shrunk incredibly when I spent a full half hour cleaning (not counting the hour worth of waiting to let solvents soak...twice an half hour each). I would get clean patches from the barrel. Then I'd let the solvent soak and run another patch through and it would come out black so I'd start all over again. Clean every couple shots too, run a brush through if nothing else.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

What I mean by performance should have been better stated as effective range. I'm looking for first hand hunting info. Anyone have experience with the Platinum Tip Sabots from Winchester out of an automatic with fully rifled barrel? I'm going to West Virginia and want to bring the slug gun for my first hunt with it.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Well I don't have first hand info on the platinum tips, but with sabots in general its accuracy that is always the limiting factor on effective range. 75yards was my max last year because after that groups went to 8" or worse. I shot one at about 70yards...the slug broke-up w/o hitting bone (lightfield, I don't use them anymore) and the deer went about another 75 yards. This year I'm able to shoot cloverleafs at 50yards. So I'll see how bad things are at 100 this weekend and make my decision then on my max range. A +400gr slug is alot of bullet for deer-sized game...assumming it holds up and I think most of the newer jacketed HP slugs are getting good reviews in that area.