Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun slug question

Old 11-11-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Shotgun slug question

I recently was trying out the new hornady 12 guage slugs that I have read great reviews on. I started at 25 yards to see were I was on the paper and afterthe first shot I notice a large horizontal hole on the paper. After several shots and the same results I stated to think that the slug was tumbling at close distances. I shot at 50 and 75 and found theusual small bullet hole that you would expect to see. Any thoughts. Does the hornaday incorporate a sabotinside the shot gun shell and that was still attached at 25 yards?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shotgun slug question

You very well might have been pushing the sabot thru the paper at 25 yards just behind the actual slug. You say you shot at 50 and 75 yards too. Was that just a total of three shots? You are speaking of a rifled barrel, right?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

With those slugs through a rifled barrel, I know of a lot of guys sighting in out at 150 yards. Did you try any shots this far? I'm thinking of using those myself and wanted to know what you thought.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

I hope ur using a rifled barrel. Let me know what ya find because i'm looking to try something new in my 870 with a rifled barrel.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 AM

I would say it was your sabot going thru the target. If it was stable at longer distances it would be up close as well. If your bullet was tumbling that close you wouldnt' get very good accuracy further out.

Out of curiousity what type of gun are you using and what sort of groups?

Originally they were considered a bit of a let down, but know I am hearing better reports. I may have to try them in my H&R, it doesn't seem to like any of the faster loadings though. I am seriously considering hand loading slugs.

Paul
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about the hornaday's. I've never shot them but the Winchester BRI will throw sabot at 25 yrds and hit target sometimes. I use Winchester Platinum and they shoot great out of my riffled barrel, and probabl;y second are the copper solids from Remington.They say to shoot several brands of slugs out of your gun to see which one you gun likes.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another big consideration is the gauge of the slugs tested. Some offerings are great in 20 gauge and so-so in 12 gauge. Mostly due to the specific rifling rates.

It might almost seem intresting as to why slug manufacturers don't post any recommended rate of rifling. Almost. If there's no recommendation, anyone and everyone will purchase them with certainly mixed results.

12 gauge rifled slug barrels typically have rates of around 1-in-34" (Tar-Hunt being the odd rate of 1-in-28". 20 gauges run around 1-in-24".
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: teamster284

I've never shot them but the Winchester BRI will throw sabot at 25 yrds and hit target sometimes.
I shotBRI Sabot'sthru Mossberg 500since before Winchester bought Ballistic Research Institute in the 80's.The Mossberg 500 is the shot gun that they use to test their loads.

I started shooting the WinBRI's in a BRNA-5 with a Hastings Paradox Barrel about 12yrs ago and have no problems up to150yds.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM

has anyone shot the new federals with the barnes expander sabot I bought some but haven't tried them yet they look very mean.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 PM

it was most likely the sabot hitting the target at that range...

by the way, Indy... i am shooting these out of my 870 with a rifled barrel and im shooting 1 inch groups at 50 yards with rifle sights. ill see if i can post a pic.

Quick Reply: Shotgun slug question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.