Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Non-Typical" (3) Thread >

Official Team "Non-Typical" (3) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Non-Typical" (3) Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Non-Typical" (3) Thread

hey guys sorry for the late reply. Friday we saw lots of deer, no shooters and I missed a doe. She was about 30 and I shot her for a little over 20, right under the heart. Saturday we had a guy walk up on us as there were deer approaching they spooked, no shots. Sunday I got in my stand at 630 and it was barely light enough to see anything. I was sitting getting ready to pull out an arrow when suddenly I saw a shilouette with a big white rack on top. He was kind of trotting so I whistled at him and he stopped, I never could get the arrow out fast enough and he spooked. He was the only shooter I saw over the weekend, but man I saw a ton of deer and a ton of turkeys. Saturday evening I went to set up in my ground blind and as i walked up the hill, there were about 20 turkeys within 10 yards of the blind itself. Oh well, I'm gonna go out tomorrow evening. good luck guys.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I missed a nice one, i was watching him for a while at 60 out. Then he went behind a brush-pile and hung up for 30 minutes. And it was at the wee end of the day, just a little shooting light left. He finally stepped out, I stopped him at 40-45 yards and was in full draw for a while, since it was so dark and I had to really concentrate on him. But to make a long story short, my arrow hit a branch I didn't see about 25 yards out. He was a nice one but nothing huge, probably 140-150 class. It was the first day out, seen a lot of rubs and scrapes, and the expectations of the season are looking good. Moved a treestand around, so hopefully in a couple weeks I can get back there an arrow one. I also passed up a young 8 pt. at 15 yards, but got him on video so that was cool. It was just nice to get out.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:33 PM

THWACK!!!!! Smacked a doe today around 9:30AM. She and 3 others fed from in behind me. She stopped at 10 yards slightly quartering to me. I busted the front shoulder and took out both lungs. The arrow stopped in the opposite arm pit. I saw her drop not 40 yards away. No buck sighting but plenty of doe around.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:16 PM

Wow sounds like you guys had some great hunts. I'm going out this weekend and will let you guys know how it went.

Kshunter, I dont know what your talking about but 140-150" isn't that average of a deer.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, I have been seeing lots of deer but no shooters yet. There is 3 different spikes running around my property and lots of does but the big ones aren't out of the swamps yet. We had some snow yesterday and really got my blood pumping but I think it will still be 2 weeks before the big ones start chasing around here. Maybe I can get my son to shoot one of the does from his stand so I don't have to mess up mine
Good luck to all and talk at ya later.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

He was a nice one, I deffinately wouldn't pass one up of that size, but I have a trip planned for 9 days going out to western Kansas, and seen some real brutes last year(missed one, after it hit a branch and bounced off his back). There are not many deer out there but when you do see a mature buck it's usually a really nice one. It's still early in the year, and there will be more chances. I'd like to get a kill on video, that would be cool.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:48 PM

Me and a friend tried to get a kill on tape last year, but the deer wouldn't cooperate. Its really tough to coordinate it and have a deer walk into one of your shhoting lanes and catch it on tape. It was definately fun to try though.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, when i missed that doe friday, we had the perfect setup with the camera. zoomed in, broadside....MISS. oh well
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM

Anyone have good hunts this weekend? Friday night I had 5 does skirt me by 100 yds. walking into a beanfield. Couldn't get anything close.

oh well.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:49 AM

Wednesday the 6th of October, I had a perfect wind for an evening hunt in one of my areas that I believed was holding a big buck. I got dressed outside of my truck and started to walk into the field when I guy pulls up and hollars for me. He tells me that at 8:30 pm everynight he sees this monster buck feeding near the road where I'm going to hunt. I thanked him for his info and asked him not to tell anyone else. And then I assured his wife that I had no intentions of killing the deer. Talk about being pumped for a hunt. At 6:15 a nice sized 5 point walked right under my stand and I'm thinking you couldn't get any perfect than this. I sat for the rest of the night without another sighting, but I'm still pumped about the stand. My brother inlaw hunted the same stand Friday morning and said after the hunt he walked up the trail behind the stand about 50 yards and found a rub this size of his thigh and as high as his shoulders. Now, I'm REALLY pumped. I'm still debating whether or not to put my deercam up, but I don't want to spook him away. Hopefully I'll have a good picture of him this season , with me holding his rack up.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Non-Typical" (3) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.