Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 150 gr better accuracy or what? >

150 gr better accuracy or what?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

150 gr better accuracy or what?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Spike

Default 150 gr better accuracy or what?

My Excal Vortex "Right Stuff" package came with their new 150 gr Boltcutter broadheads. The Phoenix package I ordered a couple of years ago came with 100 gr Thunderheads. Excalibur claimed they now suggest the heavier 150 gr head for better long range (40-50 yrd) accuracy. I normally shoot under 30 yards but am curious about their claims. Anyone had any long range experience between the heavier and lighter heads. I would rather shoot a lighter head because there's more choices out there but I don't want to screw up the accuracy of the Vortex either. If I go with a lighter head should I look into a weighted insert?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 150 gr better accuracy or what?

A higher foc will basicly make the fletchings more efficient and tends to make the arrow more accurate at long ranges than an arrow with low FOC. If you have an arrow with an aluminum (light) insert adding on a heavy tip will generaly improve the arrows stability an make it more accurate. If your arrows have a brass insert (heavy) you can use a lighter tip and achieve the same thing. It also depends on the fletching...tall/long fletching will stabilize well even with a low FOC, but if you use say Blazers a higher tip weight will give the smaller vanes more leverage and they can steer the arrow as well as a larger fletching. You can use weight washers but they are only 5grs each so you will have to stack them to get the same weight, or change or add weight to the insert.
Wyvern
Old 01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I guess it's a matter of giving the general public some flexibility. You have aluminum inserts(light arrow shafts) so you can speed up the bow by going to 100 gr broadheads or use a 150+ gr and have a heavy hitter that will bones easier and be more stable to and through the deer. I think Excal was thinking that 150 grain broadheads are a more sensible choice. I find no accuracy issue with my lighter arrows.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

The bolts I'm using are the carbon ones made by Excalibur. I have a dozen and a half of them so I'd like to stick with them but still try to increase overall bolt weight. Can I remove the inserts the bolts came with and replace with heavier brass ones? If so, how do I heat the insert without without damaging the carbon shaft.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Just had a brain f--t. See post below :-)
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM

I gold tip arrow with 110 grain brass insert and 100 grain head is normallythe equivalent (FOC)of an arrow with an aluminum insert and 150 to 170 grain head. I use Easton Power Bolt carbon shafts with aluminum inserts and 170 grain field points for 3D shoots and 170 grain NAP Spitfires for hunting. I have found this combination the most consistently accurate. Some arrow combinations can be shot very accurately but only with great effort in holding perfectly still, etc. This heavy arrow combination that I shoot seemingly just puts them in the centereverytime without much effort on my part. I like that My arrows for the Vortex weigh 481 grains.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Spike

Where'd you get the 170 gr Spitfires? I thought the heaviest they came in was 125 gr?