Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

XBow Noise

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: XBow Noise

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1

Strange....if I search quiet at the bottom of the page I get 2 results both from this thread. If I use the button at the "top search the forum" I never get any results.

Mitch
Donno if this will work but this is what I got.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/searchpro.aspx?phrase=quiet&author=&forumi d=96&topicreply=both&message=body&time frame=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&amp ;top=300&criteria=AND&submitbutton=+OK+
Think that I have figured out the problem. IE works ....but I use Mozilla Firefox browser and it does not seem to work at all.

Firefox gives me a popup message that says:

The system could not find any record.

Possible causes include:

1) Your search term is not specific enough

2) There is indeed no matching record

Mitch
I use Fire Fox. I just used the word quiet, no author and searched in crossbows. Donno why mine worked and your's didn't. I think this is a true hijack! LOL!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Ok, Back to the subject. I too had a Horton that I despised because of the noise and felt vibration.

Heres what worked for me. First I bought the Sims Xbox kit and it didn't do much. Then, I put a wrap of very thick moldable waterproof electrical tape 2" wide, around each limb near the bolt/base frame. Then I split it into 2 1" wide wraps for the stirrup. Next I put 2 strips (one on top of the other) across the top of the buttstock where my cheek rides. I then opened up the thumbhole bigger and took rubber tool handle wrap to it. The Octopus wrap from SVL can be used here as well. This could work in place of the tape as well, I bet.

I also did the bolt check....I took the thing clear apart and put it all back together after polishing and lubeing the trigger mechanism.

I dropped from 22 to 20" arrows and added 25gr wt rings to the nose for a heavier arrow/more FOC balance. It worked well in improving accuracy CONSIDERABLY.

Hope something here helps,

Dryridge
Old 10-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike Van Veghten, DNK and the like. Thanks for giving me your technical responses, jeeze i didn't know that was what a search button is for. But next time make sure it works correctly before your witty and charming responses are typed. To the rest that actually gave some ideas and not haughty (type that in search boyos) responses thanks I appreciate them. Guys like you that make it fun to learn on these forums.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Mike Van Veghten, DNK and the like. Thanks for giving me your technical responses, jeeze i didn't know that was what a search button is for. But next time make sure it works correctly before your witty and charming responses are typed. To the rest that actually gave some ideas and not haughty (type that in search boyos) responses thanks I appreciate them. Guys like you that make it fun to learn on these forums.
What you will find is that those who do not think a crossbow can be brought to a reasonable noise level are those who have not heard a bow that has been worked on. My Excal Y25 is so quiet that it sounds like a soft ball dropped onto concrete. It's level and duration of noise is very low. Another bow of mine was dry-fired about 15 feet away from smokepole and he didn't notice it was a dry-fire!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Buck Hunter 1 I'm very sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit.

I did get the "horton sound suppression system" and saw very little difference in the noise level. Best advise is to keep the shots short and aim true.....you won't get another shot.

Mitch
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, there are both REAL NOISE and PRECIEVED NOISE with crossbows. In that I mean, when shooting a crossbow it will souind louder then it actually is because your cheak is against the stock (which has viberations from the shot). The viberations will transfur dirrectly into your hearing through your bone structure (cheak bone) just like a Dr's tuning fork in a hearing test.

Now, crossbows are generally noisy. You will never get them as quiet as needed or as quiet as you want them to become. Can you quiet them down, yes you can but not an extreem amount. DNK(as well as some others) has list some good pointers and I will try to add some more for you.
- STS to limit string viberation after the arrow leaves the string.
- wooden stock (the composit stocks do viberate the most and viberations cause noise)
- Vein over feather fletchings as they will make less noise during flight.

Remember that in most situations all of the noise suppression systems will cost you FPS of your arrow speed. In my opinion, it is not worth loosing the speed off the arrow because your not quieting the arrow in flight and the deer will hear the arrow even if you are able to 100% quiet your bow,. Some of the other pointers like filling voids in your bow can work, but they could change the balance of your bow to a point that your not comfortable holding it for a duration while waiting for the perfect shot,

My suggestion is to limit your shots to the 30-40 yard (on deer) and you should be ok,

GOod luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Glad your reminded me Tom, you didn't notice the dry-fire from about 15 feet away either! That Vortex is spitting out a 395gr arrow well over 300 ft/sec. I have to disagree with you Tom, the speed loss is about 8ft/sec. That is negligible in any normal person's books.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

BTW, in regards to noise of the fletching vs feathers, you should read this Tom.
Plastic vanes are also susceptible to "fletching oscillation". Easton's ultra slow motion videos clearly showed that plastic vanes often "flap" severely when the arrow is shot. This oscillation starts at launch due to the low strength to weight ratio of plastic. It continues as the arrow flies down range.
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Things are changing, keep up with the times or you'll become a dinosaur and someone will be pumping you into a gas tank millions of years from now! LOL!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

BTW, in regards to noise of the fletching vs feathers, you should read this Tom.
Plastic vanes are also susceptible to "fletching oscillation". Easton's ultra slow motion videos clearly showed that plastic vanes often "flap" severely when the arrow is shot. This oscillation starts at launch due to the low strength to weight ratio of plastic. It continues as the arrow flies down range.
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Things are changing, keep up with the times or you'll become a dinosaur and someone will be pumping you into a gas tank millions of years from now! LOL!

Dnk ...... those little pieces of advice were in general terms. Yes veins will make noise in flight, but not as much as feathers. Some veins will make less noise then others, like some weigh less as well. I use feathers and have for over 20 years so I guess I might be concidered that dinosaur .............. BUT ...... ummmmmmmmmmm ............ I do believe that you were a little older then me ...............

But as for the loss of speed for the loss of noise . well I am gladd that we both can agree to disagree with this. No problem as I do not expect everyone to be as smart as me just kidding. But honestly in my feelings is that if you can't totally elliminate the noise from the arrow as well as the bow, then I will use the speed to get the arrow there faster so they have less time to react to the noise.

Remember that I am only shooting the Orginal Relayer (150lb) bow so when I give up an speed, it will be more of a factor then you with your speed bows lol.

Quick Reply: XBow Noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.