HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - XBow Noise
Thread: XBow Noise
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: XBow Noise

ORIGINAL: Dnk

BTW, in regards to noise of the fletching vs feathers, you should read this Tom.
Plastic vanes are also susceptible to "fletching oscillation". Easton's ultra slow motion videos clearly showed that plastic vanes often "flap" severely when the arrow is shot. This oscillation starts at launch due to the low strength to weight ratio of plastic. It continues as the arrow flies down range.
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Things are changing, keep up with the times or you'll become a dinosaur and someone will be pumping you into a gas tank millions of years from now! LOL!

Dnk ...... those little pieces of advice were in general terms. Yes veins will make noise in flight, but not as much as feathers. Some veins will make less noise then others, like some weigh less as well. I use feathers and have for over 20 years so I guess I might be concidered that dinosaur .............. BUT ...... ummmmmmmmmmm ............ I do believe that you were a little older then me ...............

But as for the loss of speed for the loss of noise . well I am gladd that we both can agree to disagree with this. No problem as I do not expect everyone to be as smart as me just kidding. But honestly in my feelings is that if you can't totally elliminate the noise from the arrow as well as the bow, then I will use the speed to get the arrow there faster so they have less time to react to the noise.

Remember that I am only shooting the Orginal Relayer (150lb) bow so when I give up an speed, it will be more of a factor then you with your speed bows lol.