Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Horton Red Dot Scope Saga Continues >

Horton Red Dot Scope Saga Continues

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton Red Dot Scope Saga Continues

Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default Horton Red Dot Scope Saga Continues

As previously and unhappily described in my prior Horton Red Dot scope post hereI discovered a couple issues with the red dot scope on my brand new Horton Explorer. I gave the company another chance and had them send me a replacement red dot scope. They asked me to send my defective one back first so I could wait a couple weeks for the replacement to show up to enjoy my new toy. I called back and $80 later they decided to do the right thing and send the replacement first. Great customer service when you pay for it. Anyway...

So the second brand new red dot scope arrives today. Guess what, it has the exact same flaw except this one is defective on the left/right adjustment and not the up/down adjustment. I was trying to sight it in and there are no adjustment clicks when I adjust the left/right.

And interestingly enough, the new scope has an "R" (for Right) on the adjustment screw while the original has "L" (for Left). Both arrows point in the same direction. Both adjust the point of contact the same direction. So which is it

Basically I now realize I bought a Made in China crossbow and am getting made in China quality. It doesn't matter how nice Marilyn is on the phone, the parts appear to be crap. The crossbow feels decent overall but now I'm worried the overall quality is poor and will start to reflect as I shoot it more than just my couple opportunities have allowed. I can't return it to Dick's because I've shot it once.

This is the kind of quality you get from junk tool suppliers like Harbor Freight. I wish I had bought a Parker. I learned too late they are made a few miles away from me.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Horton Red Dot Scope Saga Continues

Wasabi,

Sorry, man! You normally don't get what you DON'T pay for. IMO, existing crossbow specific scopes, both red dot and rifle-type,are just marginal with some beingjust plain junk. They keep selling them though and for some strange reason that I will never understand, people keep buying them...............and that may be the reason that there are no premium crossbow specific sights available.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

That sucks about your experiences with the scope. I can tell you fairly certainly that Horton and many other manufactures do not make there own optics. That means your bow will probably be fine, however I do understand your frustration.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Moonkryket

Wasabi,

Sorry, man! You normally don't get what you DON'T pay for. IMO, existing crossbow specific scopes, both red dot and rifle-type, are just marginal with some being just plain junk. They keep selling them though and for some strange reason that I will never understand, people keep buying them...............and that may be the reason that there are no premium crossbow specific sights available.

I'm new to xbows. Is this really the case? What should I look for in a sight for my xbow?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: idunno

ORIGINAL: Moonkryket

Wasabi,

Sorry, man! You normally don't get what you DON'T pay for. IMO, existing crossbow specific scopes, both red dot and rifle-type, are just marginal with some being just plain junk. They keep selling them though and for some strange reason that I will never understand, people keep buying them...............and that may be the reason that there are no premium crossbow specific sights available.

I'm new to xbows. Is this really the case? What should I look for in a sight for my xbow?
Premium as in extreme high end like for the center fire rifles, IMO, also a no. There are no high dollar CB scopes around, not that money is a factor in quality, but you can't expect much from a eighty dollar scope. Most are low end. Excalibur scopes are the only ones I have that do what they say. I have had use with Horton's red dot and there multi reticle and they both where not worth the money IMO. Maybe if I had a bow set up for the multi reticles speeds I would have liked it, but what good does a scope do with more then one aim point if it is wrong. I have no experience with Ten points or other CB brands of scopes so no info there. The Excal Varizone and lumizone are the only ones that I like and do what they say from a CB specific scope line. Horton CB's are fine, but the D-A-R and there optics suck IMO.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM

It's my opinion of course. After testing virtually everything on the market for crossbows I still don't see anything that I can truthfully say is a premium quality scope or sight. Can you shoot accurately with them? Yes! I shoot them everyday because there is nothing (3 dot)available that's better to date.Illuminated scopes typicallyhave tons of internal reflection, reflex red dot sights are even worse with indadequate durability and one that's suppose to be zero magnification actually makes things look smaller. They are mostly cheaply made Asian sights. Good quality single dot reflex sights are available but they limit the range of shots becuase they only have a single aiming dot.Premium quality optics are expensive for a reason..............it costs more to produce quality optics. Eotech, Pride Fowler and Zeiss are examples of quality durable reflex sights with single dots. The Zeiss Z-Point has patented features not found on any other reflex sight. You are looking at $350.00 plus for any premium reflex sight and if any of these optics companies develop and produce a 3 dot crossbow specificversion, they will likely cost more thantheir single dot versions. Not everyhone is willing to pay$450.00 for a reflex sight or a rifle-type sight for crossbows andsome people simply can't afford them. Once you've grown accustomed to truly quality optics you don't want anything else. It's kind of like going back to regular TV once you've experienced true HD TVNo thanks :-)

I only use Ten Point and Bowtech Stryker reflex sights where 3 dot versions are needed. They are fixed positioned so finding the right arrow/point weights to get either 20/30/40 or 30/40/50 yards is the only way to do it. Ideally, a quality 3 dot with dot spacing adjustability would be the ticket. Maybe one of the manufacturers will wake up and see the possiblities for the growing crossbow market.

I personally don't use rifle-type scopes with magnification because they are large and heavy and I don't need or want magnification for 40 yard shots at deer.