Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 the SAGA continues... >

the SAGA continues...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the SAGA continues...

Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default the SAGA continues...

My quest for the right mechanical Bh has ended because I couldn't find a single one that I didn't have a disagreement with.

I'm now beginningyet another quest for the right fixed BH. What I want is something that is at least 1 1/4" cutting diameter that does not have too much trouble flying with FP's. It has to be either a 3 or 4 blade. I'm currently shooting the standard Muzzy 3 blade but I don't like them because the blades always bend after each deer it passes through. I need a thicker than .020" blade, preferably at least .030".

I was looking at the Muzzy mx3 and mx4 but found some bad reviews on the flight quality of the mx4's. Can anyone attest to this?

I was also looking at the slick tricks and they claim to be field point accurate. A few guys have already backed this up. My reservation though, is the fact that there are bad reviews on the Muzzy mx4while the slick trick is also a 4 blade. It makes more sense to me that flight quality has to do withengineering rather than the BH being a 4 blade. However, it's still possible that a 4 blade simply by its nature (being a 4 blade) inherently has flight instabilities. Any thoughts on this?

Ultimately, what would you recommend and why?
Old 03-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Default RE: the SAGA continues...

I'm sure I'm not the first to tell you this but you should be able to get just about any fixed blade to fly with your FP's. It takes a little work but can be done. It is so much more rewarding once you get your FP's and BH's hitting the same spot.

I've always used the regular Muzzy 4-blade. Couple seasons ago I used the same BH on 2 deer and a turkey. Even then, it was still fine to shoot. I just made sure it was sharpened well.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I had a few minor problems with the Muzzy MX-4's with inconsistent flight from pack to pack. Never tried the MX-3s but you should ask Greg/Mo about them. He likes them and owns a boatload of the MX-3.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

My quest for the right mechanical Bh has ended because I couldn't find a single one that I didn't have a disagreement with.

I'm now beginningyet another quest for the right fixed BH. What I want is something that is at least 1 1/4" cutting diameter that does not have too much trouble flying with FP's. It has to be either a 3 or 4 blade. I'm currently shooting the standard Muzzy 3 blade but I don't like them because the blades always bend after each deer it passes through. I need a thicker than .020" blade, preferably at least .030".

I was looking at the Muzzy mx3 and mx4 but found some bad reviews on the flight quality of the mx4's. Can anyone attest to this?

I was also looking at the slick tricks and they claim to be field point accurate. A few guys have already backed this up. My reservation though, is the fact that there are bad reviews on the Muzzy mx4while the slick trick is also a 4 blade. It makes more sense to me that flight quality has to do withengineering rather than the BH being a 4 blade. However, it's still possible that a 4 blade simply by its nature (being a 4 blade) inherently has flight instabilities. Any thoughts on this?

Ultimately, what would you recommend and why?
G5 Striker. http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_striker

THEE best bh that has ever tipped my arrow.

100% Steel
Cut on Contact
0.030" replaceable blades

I've never touched a broadhead that was as sharp as the striker. I was in the same boat as you, trying to find the best. I found it in the striker.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kyle and I agree on most things, I prefer the Montec
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM

try the slick tricks
1: all steel
2: very sharp and very strong blades
3: they fly great
i just broke my first today, i hit multiple rocks, i hit my friends muzzy, and i got it stuck in wood ( and pulled it out ) atleast 5 times. just give them a try it will be the best thing you ever did.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Hey Germ, as long as it's G5 buddy, as long as it's G5
Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Why the Montec? Just curious as I am thinking of trying the G5 Strykers, NAP Hellrazors, Muzzy MX-3 along with my tried and true Rocky Mtn. Turbos(Blitz).
Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I broke a blade on a striker, and I can sharpen a Montec over and over again.

Without a doubt the most durable broadhead on the market and the best investment.

With most other BH you have to buy replacement blades, with Montec just a sharpener.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find something bad about every fixed head out there too.
Good luck.

How about putting names of some of the tried and true ones in a hat and picking one. You are trying to reinvent the wheel here. If you can't be happy with a muzzy that's been around forever and probably killed more deer than any head out there, what can you be happy with?

Quick Reply: the SAGA continues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.