Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Cyclone Evaluation--Intial Impression. >

Cyclone Evaluation--Intial Impression.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cyclone Evaluation--Intial Impression.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cyclone Evaluation--Intial Impression.

My Cyclone arrived today. Four screws and it's together. Comes with bow portion assembled; action with scope in place. String cocker, three arrows, quiver. Trugo scope so so; no match for LumiZone (LZ). Mount does not allow enough forward eye relief with the Truglo. If I were going to keep the scope, at least one forward extention ring (Weaver) would be required to get full field of view. (Same problem when mounted on Terminator). As it is, the LumiZone fits perfectly, using medium Burris Z rings, with stock not quite fully extended. (I have 37" arm reach). Cheek weld is perfect, full field of view instantly when shouldered. No foam pipe-insulation cheekpiece necessary as on my Vortex.
This thing is FAST! Will chron it tomorrow (it's raining). Fast enough to shoot 3/4 way out the back side of a Merrel bag at 20 yards. And flat enough (100 gr head) so that second aim point in LZ shoots high with speed ring is set a 350 fps. Have not tested extensively for accuracy as yet but looks promising. Trigger is a bit stiff. Will need to be shot to loosen up. My Terminator was same way; some Teflon spray helped it immensely.
Had some apprehensions about cocking from reading another post. Apparent tendency for hooks to roll onto the rail. I was watching for same and consciously pulled up and back. Two things help prevent roll over: Shortened the string by about 2" so bowstring has to be raised to second hook. This decreases the distance cocker rope travels, enabling one to pull back, during the last fews inches of cocking, when it's most difficult to do so. Place left knee (the leg I place in stirrup) behind arm guard. This pushes the bow forward and also enables pulling back/up.
At 175 lb draw it's not as easy to cock as the Terminator but easier than my Vortex. It' would take some effort, and strong hands, to cock without rope IMO.
So far I'm impressed and pleased. Fit and finish is good. Easy to assemble. Fits well. Compact and bit lighter than comparably outfitted Terminator. Seems quieter too. Cool quiver. Bottom mounted (for those like otherwise).
Scope is marginal, needs extension ring(s) esp for someone who has tendency to crawl the stock.
Arrow components in the mail. Will make it's own 2'' Blazered, brass insert arrows with 125gr tips and test for accuracy.[/align]