Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

scope rings

Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 AM
KLV

Default scope rings

Picked up a new Lumi-Zone today but all the rings in the shop were way to low. I 'm wondering if there is anyone peeking in on this forum who shoots a Darton crossbow with a Lumi-Zone scope. If so, which scope rings do you use to keep the scope from contacting the mounting rail. Thanks for any help I can get.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope rings

Well,I don't know beans about Dartons, but the make shouldn't matter as you are dealing w/ a Weaver type mount, right? my bows are out in the shop, but I know my rings are not the "high" ones, that leaves medium or low. I'd almost bet a bhead mediums would work.

Edited to add; I have mediums and have to make sure the speed ring is not above the mount as it will bind on Lzone, so if your mount is real long, you may have to go to high rings. I can get my eye relief ok and keep the speed ring behind the mount. Excal brought out a new style mount to solve this problem, but most Excal guys or at least alot of them just cut some of the dovetail off the back of old style w/ hack saw and tuned it w/ file. My objective lense housings are both in front of mount, so height there doesn't matter for my bows.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
KLV

My scope mount is long and the entire eyepiece lies on the mount. I'm giong to need high mounts of some sort. I have some weaver high mounts that I was going to use but they are to low because they measure the same height as warne medium rings. Since they all seem to have slightly different dimensions, I was hoping to learn from other's experience and get the lowest high mount I can and save a few tanks of gas driving around doing all the trial and error. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I have a Tenpoint Magnum X2. . .I had to use Weaver extra high extended. I think I would try a different brand next time. The Weavers seem to loosen over time. I think it is torque relaxation so locktite won't help except for to keep them from coming off after the torque relaxes!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Well, I have a Tenpoint Magnum X2. . .I had to use Weaver extra high extended. I think I would try a different brand next time. The Weavers seem to loosen over time. I think it is torque relaxation so locktite won't help except for to keep them from coming off after the torque relaxes!
[/quote

what the heck is that about? torque relaxation? I've been foolin w/ this stuff for a long time and have never found a screw that degreased w/ blue loc-tite didn't solve the problem. Please educate me some.[seriously, like willRogers]As to the original post and question, I'd take a hack saw and file to the mount in a heart beat rather than go to high rings, for reasons too numerous to mention or debate, lol.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

First, I used extra high extended rings to get the scope high and forward enough that I could look through the scope comfortably. In my opinion, the problem stems from the Tenpoint mount being made for the standard sight used at the time it was made: A single red dot on an built in attachment. These tend to sit high. Also, they need the adjustable dial-a-range base like this one includes.

Torque relaxation - At work, we define this as a joint condition, which looses torque, not by the loosening of the fastener, but by the compressed layers yielding. This can be the bolt stretching, joint metal being squeezed, etc. Whichever, clamp load drops so low, that the bolt eventually backs out. Even if the bolt stays put, the clamp load is too low to avoid the joint slipping or similar.

In the case of these rings, both where the rings wrap around the scope tube and how it tightens to the base, before the screws yield. A properly designed bolted joint will yield the screws/bolts before the joint material yields. In the case of these rings,as you apply torque to the rings, they will torque to a reasonable value, but then, within a few seconds, if you recheck the torque, it will be much lower. So, I can degrease and apply locktite, but the best I will hold these screws to is just a few inch pounds of torque.Even though the torque has dropped, I don't see the scope slipping around on the target, so it may just barely be ok. I still don't like it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the explanation! If I read it right, you are saying that even though the screws don't loosen, the metal they are holding stretches and gives the same effect as loose screws? Makes sense to me. also is a possible answer to something that happened to me awhile back. I found the L-zone on my Emax loose. Repositioned it, tightened the rings and resighted. all was apparently well, until i went to turn the speed ring. It wouldn't budge. Thought I had over tightened the rings. what actually happened was I had gotten the speed ring onto the mount and pinched it to same. Easy fix once my brain was working again, lol.