Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow shooting questions >

Crossbow shooting questions

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow shooting questions

Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crossbow shooting questions

My dad just got his horton TR 175 with red dot scope. At 20 yrds you can split hairs with this thing but at 30 things start to get somewhat shaky as far as accuracy.

Horton puts that dial on the side where you can click up the scope to achieve better accuracy at a distance. Sometimes it hits real good at 30yrds, other times we seem to shoot low or it pulls off the right. Its just not hitting as precise as i would like. I was told the string can throw off the bolt if it is locked somewhat off balance...is this true? How can i correct this?

Also, I have the Horton red dot scope on this thing. Shot great the 1st day. Yesterday the internals fogged up and you couldnt see through the thing. Any advice?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow shooting questions

One thing we got lots of here is advice, lol. 1st off, are you using a rope cocker? They center the string for you. White out on string next to rail at rest will help if you hand cock it. W/ the Excal type you have to put the hooks on upside [hits safety if you don't]down on a Horton and run the rope thru the hole on stock. The knob on the side iscalled "Dial-A-Range and is for single aim point red dots or scopes. It's also called "Dial-A-Rage" for when the rope cocker moves it and you miss a shot, lol. Some Horton guys have pinned it solid and gone to multiple aim point scopes. I've had very poor luck w/ Hortons version of that, they tend to fog up internally. Check out an Excal V-zone or L-zone. Welcome to the forum!!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 AM

I don't know about the scope problem (I shoot with pins), but I had a few ideas about accuracy. The string does cause windage problems if not cocked straight. I use the whiteout-lines-on-the-string method to check if I hand cock it straight. Make sure that the bolt is seated on the rail the same every time and make sure it is back against the string before you shoot. Make sure that your bolt is straight (not bent if aluminum). Make sure that the crossbow is held horizontal and not canted to the side. I've found that just a little cant can throw me off quite a bit. Most of the time with me, when I miss, it's me. I pull the shot when pulling the trigger or I willdrop the bow slightly as I shoot.You didn't say how you were shooting, but if you were shooting offhand, try setting up a table with a chair and shoot off a "bench" to determine if it is the crossbow or the shooter. Try setting the crossbow on something soft but solid that won't allow it to move when shot and see if it's consistent. If so, then you need to work on shooting form. Hope this helps. Grndhntr.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, it could be all kinds of things. . .

First, I would look at myself. A crossbow is much harder to shoot due to the trigger pull. A decent rifle trigger can be shot well at 30 yards by beginner and expert alike, but with a crossbow, I really felt like I had to "learn" the release point of the trigger mechanism so the crosshair is on target when it releases. This is twice as hard because: 1) a crossbow has no dry fire capability, 2) generally, I can only shoot 3 - 6 arrows, before I have to pull from the target!

Second, I would look at the sight and sight base. Are these tight enough to not have excessive slop side to side. Does the aiming point dial consistantly? Try this with the bow in a rest and dialing the sight.

Third, a rest might be a good investment. Even if the rest isn't the solution, it will help you isolate yourself from the equation.

Forth, arrow setup. While most store bought arrows are similar weight and setup, you might try a couple. You might also buy a few weights of target points.Field points are cheap and change the FOC. This combination of heavier and more FOC can help you dial in quicker. Also, don't try broadheads until the field points are flying right.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Yea, it could be all kinds of things. . .

First, I would look at myself. A crossbow is much harder to shoot due to the trigger pull. A decent rifle trigger can be shot well at 30 yards by beginner and expert alike, but with a crossbow, I really felt like I had to "learn" the release point of the trigger mechanism so the crosshair is on target when it releases. This is twice as hard because: 1) a crossbow has no dry fire capability, 2) generally, I can only shoot 3 - 6 arrows, before I have to pull from the target!

Second, I would look at the sight and sight base. Are these tight enough to not have excessive slop side to side. Does the aiming point dial consistantly? Try this with the bow in a rest and dialing the sight.

Third, a rest might be a good investment. Even if the rest isn't the solution, it will help you isolate yourself from the equation.

Forth, arrow setup. While most store bought arrows are similar weight and setup, you might try a couple. You might also buy a few weights of target points.Field points are cheap and change the FOC. This combination of heavier and more FOC can help you dial in quicker. Also, don't try broadheads until the field points are flying right.
That's all good advice. I got a little to ad. Changing weight of field points from 100-125 won'tchange FOC enough to matter.FOC doesn't really come into play til you have bheads trying to steer the arrow from the front vs the vanes from the rear. A quote I read a long time ago that has proven true to me is you can shoot the front half of a two piece pool cue at 20 yds and have it work, lol.Bench rest at 30 til you would be ruining arrows and then add bheads to the equation. whole new ball game unless you use mechanicals, fwiw from the cheap seats.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Spike

I have the same setup. I pinned the dail-a-junk, and got a excal v-zone scope. Best money you can spend on the horton! From 10 out to 40 yards isspot on. Set the ring on the v-zone @ 285/290 set cross hair @ 20 yards and you are ready. I can shot horton: alum., carbon, carbon w/blazer and ten point pro-elite carbon, and they allshot the same. I also use white out on the string.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

being it shot fine at 20yds,its YOU.maybe
you have to squeeze and watch arrow hit target at 30/40.

dial a range can work but you must check it all time,rope cocker moves dial when you are cocking.

i assume you used the no.3 setting on the dial a range at 30 yds.
try shooting at target at 20 yds and use the no.3 setting.

this should tell you if something is wrong with no.3 setting.

if all arrows GROUP great at 20,ITS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

I suggeted the field points because Cabela's for example, has them from 75gr - 140gr. It seemed like that was enough variation to see the effect of field points and some change in FOC. Not sure. I agree though that changing to broadheadsis a whole 'nother deal though!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys....i followed the horton tape we got with the crossbow. It instructed that you need to 0 in the thing at 20yrds. No problems there. From that it said at 30 yrds you move that dial up one click. 40yrds 2 clicks...Kinda weird how they say 2 clicks out to 40 but there are many more settings after 2 on that dial.....

I might look into gettin him a better scope for this thing. And yes you were all correct we were shooting off hand.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same exact problem this past fall. I would shoot perfectly tight groups at 20 yards, however, when I stepped back to 30 yards I was all over the place. The problem was the string, my string was worn down and needed to be replaced. Not sure if that can help you because your bow is new. Just my 2 cents and something to keep in the back of your mind.

Quick Reply: Crossbow shooting questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.