Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rings and scope >

rings and scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rings and scope

Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default rings and scope

what type of rings and scope should i be putting on my savage model 10 308. i got it in yesterday. i know nothing about scopes and so i dont know how big i need one or what kind is good (for the money). i dont have all the money in the world so dont botherwith the"VERY" expensive scopes. i am wanting to be able to shoot sub MOA (now that i know what that means) lol.(thanks BB)out to400.so i need a scope that will allow that. also i have been hearing that some of the savage rifles platesare not always aligned properly. does this happen enough i should have it checked or not worry about it. i will be shooting yotes mostly. but i want a scope that will work for most types of conditions from 50 to 400 or more if possible( if thats even possible.) i am going to be taking this gun prong horn hunting this next year also and maybe praire dog hunting. is there one scope that will be able to take care of what iam wantingor am i just dreaming? like i said i know nothing about scopes.even what models are good and which arent.but i do know i cant go buy a cheap wallmart scope.any advice would be great.
thanks all
Jeff
Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rings and scope

For the rings I have always been a big fan of Weaver,they are strong! A Leupold VX-II 3X9-40mm is the way I would go...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 AM

I use Leupold bases and rings and weaver bases and rings. Both are similar to each other and provide good strength and stability.

Both of these bases and rings will allow you to mount most scopes found on the market.

Check the scopes poll for ideas but don't kill yourself trying to buy a 2k$ scope. A lot of the less expensive scopes are actually very good. Just remember, A good scope does not make up for lack of shooting practise.

inexpensive scopes that I like and have used -

Bushnell
Simmons
Barska
Redfield
BSA

Midrange -
Burris
Lower end Leupolds
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
DM

i am wanting to be able to shoot sub MOA (now that i know what that means) lol.(thanks BB)out to400.
So does everyone else on this board!! Good luck with that!!

First you have to learn to "walk" before you can "run".... Meaning, it's going to take a LOT more than a scope of any price to do that!!

Drilling Man
Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

i know that DM. but i at least want a scope that will helpme in doing that. and thats great everyone else knowsthat sub MOA is. whats your point?i didntknow andnow i do..