Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is it just me

Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it just me

Ranger, there is accuracy and then there is 'accuracy'. I got taken to task on another post because I don't get all wrapped around the axle about making sure the crosshairs are aboslutely, positively plumb on a (bow) scope. Then the poster showed a picture of his 50 yard, benchrested group. I have to admit it was remarkable. But, I don't shoot at deer 50 yards away and I sure as heck don't shoot at them with my bow benchrested. I'm after consecutive hits in a 3-4" circle at 30 yards with an offhand bow. He wants his bolts touching at 50. Neither is wrong, we just have different standards for our (different) expectations.
I currently load a dozen and half metallic cartridges ranging form 17 Rem. to 45/70 (handgun). Same thing there. Some folks will 'show you the paper' of their reloading efforts. And I respect that. I don't go chasing minute of ant's ass just to show that it can be done. I'm after hunting accuracy; which can vary depending on what the target, and the gun, is. One can work up a load to max accuracy of a rifle or handgun by handloading but not all firearms are capable of minute of angle...much less minute of ant's ass. I also find that the folks that don't hunt all that much are the same folks that tend to obsess over accuracy. It becomes 'their thing'. Much easier to show the paper.... than the fruits of hunting.
BTW, you need any help handloading, give me a holler. I'm just up the road. Can save you lot's of wrong paths with my hard earned experience and have consierable print resources at my disposal. It's a great hoobby. I owe that to the man that got me started, who has since passed on. TC
Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said.......Accuracy dosnt come from maxing a bow out,thats why Ive been beating myself up with this fps deal..I just find that alot of people are causing there own problems tinkering(as they call it)with there bows.Granted when I use the word tinkering Iam talking about the bow its self,they start moveing limb bolts in and out(with out marking them from factory)trying to get more speed or less poundage then start complaining about cam/cams not rolling/caming over right then they start having serving problems,bushing problems and then blame the bow,not realizing that they now have two limbolts that are not set right and now its the bow that must be bad and try to blame the mfg.
Then you wounder why people cut down other bow Mfg,when the problem started after they bought the bow,then there is the ARROW dosnt fly right thing,I wont go there............

When I start to reload Iam sure I will have 10 thousand and some ?.Ive got my powder choise's figured out for starting.I have a Rock crusher press kit still in the box never opend.It will be acouple weeks yet,I want to build a room in my basement before I start....
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ranger, when did you quit smoking? LOL!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jan 2nd is it showing.....
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Jan 2nd is it showing.....
Rassin frassin dang didley friggin! LOL!
It's ok, keep at it!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Venting or not smoking or both .....
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM

James, I think there is two people in this group. Some like to tinker and understand what they are doing and just want to kill time and maybe get better in the end, I like to do it and I think KLS is like that to. Then there are the speed freaks or just play screw ups that like Aurthur said could be starving and finding fault in the beans. Some people are green and have to master the learning curve. Then there are some you could set up a CB for and they would screw it up and say they are just trying to improve it.

You will enjoy reloading. I have a .204 Ruger H&R single shoot that I am getting ready to start playing with soon. I am getting ready to order a RCBS case trimmer and a nice scale. The case trimmer was what made me put it off last time, was tired of using a guys from work. But making your own loads is really rewarding. Best I had was 3/4" at 100 yards with five shots. That was 28 grains of 4895 and 40 grain Vmax. When I get going again I plan on using Reloader 10X and alot of guys are liking the berger bullets. Have you been to www.midwayusa.com yet? They have some really good prices on stuff IMO.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to think your not referring to me in this post cossack, but I know better..
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20635&postdays=0&postorder =asc&start=15

Today I shot 4 rounds at the range, hunted for 2 hours, and obsessed about accuracy for the remaining 21 hours (probably obsessed while I was hunting to).. Did the same thing yesterday and the day before, going to do the same thing tomorrow, and the next day....
Cossack, as usual you are being a horses a$$, there is no disputing a level scope, it's easy, free,fast and it's just common sense.
Cut the crap, your stabs are growing old.

ORIGINAL: Cossack

I also find that the folks that don't hunt all that much are the same folks that tend to obsess over accuracy. It becomes 'their thing'. Much easier to show the paper.... than the fruits of hunting.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Cossack!! I started out w/ a $9.95 Lee Loder for .218 Bee and $1500 later was close, lol. What the hell loads are you using for 17 Rem?? Never could get same accuracy as factory loads in that booger and believe me,I tried ALOT of stuff. Won't bore you w/ my successes w/ the other calibers, suffice to say it wasn't pilot error, lol [stolen from Dan Miller, lol]
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Venting or not smoking or both .....
Both James, bitch all you want if it helps, we'll support you..............between pokes at you! LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.